+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 Arm; can it run a moving coil cartridge.

I'm Mike.

I've always wanted a one of these arms, a bit of an ugly duckling in my opinion, but everyone that's owned one rates them very highly indeed, luckily i found one on ebay attached to a TD160 Super, the deck and arm seem to be in very good condition and i think if the seller had split them up and tried to sell them individually he would have had greater success, however he put quite a high starting offer for the sale which obviously put people off, but luckily for me he also was open to offers, anyway 2 days before the end of the sale there was no bids so i sent a very cheeky offer thinking i was either going to be told to go away or not get a response at all, to my surprise i'm now the proud owner of another TD160, an Audio Technica AT120eb cartridge, a Mission 774 arm complete with paddles and an amplifier of unknown manufacture.

So my questions are:

Is the arm worth a rewire and with what?
    Is the arm easy to rewire as i've not done one yet but i'm quite handy
    what cartridges suite it? i was thinking of putting my Dynavector 10x5 on it.

Thanks in advance for any help, and here are some pictures from ebay.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Grant.

general litrature says its difficult but ive seen it used with lowish compliance mc's.. a change in the damping paddle/fluid will be needed i think tho.
    geoff(walpurgis) knows these well so will have the best gen
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Needs more mass at the headshell end if used with a low compliance, high energy MC.

I'm Shane.

Simple solution, add a bit of mass! This is my Denon 103 mounted in an ally case (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274420997...mis&media=COPY )which adds about 3g to the cartridge and stiffens it up nicely. I don’t use any damping but the arm resonance is around 6Hz, so well out of the audio band. Bass is deep and fulsome.

Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    general litrature says its difficult but ive seen it used with lowish compliance mc's.. a change in the damping paddle/fluid will be needed i think tho.
    geoff(walpurgis) knows these well so will have the best gen

You're right Grant, I've looked at the instructions and I need to use the thickest paddle with the standard fluid to make the 10x5 work, seems to work with just about anything all you need to do is fit the correct paddle.

So what about a rewire? would it make a difference and if so what's the best wire to get for the arm?

I'm Dave.

Well, at the time, Mission claimed it used the finest wire money could buy. So....

I'm Patrick.

I've used mine with a Decca C4e. About as uncompliant as you can get.

Not too hard to re-wire if you wanted, but the red plug and sockets are hard/expensive to get.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I sent mine to Jonny who rewired with Ikemi silver which I thought a real step up. Not cheap though..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

i was thinking about maybe using this https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...-arm-wire.html

I'm inthescottishmafia.

That should be good mate.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast