+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 Arm; can it run a moving coil cartridge.

I'm Gary.

Default Mission 774 Arm; can it run a moving coil cartridge.

I'm currently listening to my records played through a Shure V15 III cartridge, carried on a Mission 774 arm (original type). Sounds fabulous, as you might expect. I'm curious, though, to know how the setup might cope with a typical low-output moving coil. The Mission arm, you might know, has a very low effective mass - somewhere around 5 or 6 grammes. On paper its a very poor match for a stiffly suspended LOMC, but we have all read stories of people getting good results from improbable arm/cartridge combinations. Does anyone here have any experience or insight as to how this might work out?
    IB

I'm Mike.

I used mostly MC cartridges on my one, that's what makes the 774 so versatile. You have the damping trough to help if needed for certain cartridges. If I still had my one when I bought my SP10 deck I would have fitted it to as I'm sure it would have been great.

I'm Geoff.

It works extremely well with low compliance MC's and Deccas. Just adjust the fluid damping to suit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

As above. Have used mine with a Benz Gullwing SLR. Great sounding combination.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Charlie.

Yes it can. Back ok the day the combo of the 774 and Entre MC1 was a reviewer’s favourite.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Paul.

Agreed - I still use an Entre cartridge in a '774! I find it to be an excellent combination, using just light damping. I am sure that many other LOMCs would work well too - I've always found the 774 to be very versatile in terms of cartridge matching. Mine has the optional solid counterweight, but I don't think that impacts on cartridge matching....

I'm Gary.

Thanks to all of you for these contributions. It makes very interesting reading. Of course I am now completely confused, since the collective experience of users appears to trash the received wisdom of ages about arm and cartridge matching. But I did ask ... !
    Cheers
    IB

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    the collective experience of users appears to trash the received wisdom of ages about arm and cartridge matchingIB
    Not really. Instead of the cartridge just using the mass of the arm for the cantilever suspension to articulate properly (work against), the 774 also has fluid damping to 'load' the cartridge cantilever movement, so less mass is needed. It's simple dynamics.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

FWIW I'm currently using a Decca Supergold in one of my Mission 774's on a Thorens TD150 and a Paradoxpulse Denon DL103R on a modded 1210 in another. With the latter I'm using a custom heavy counterweight from XTC - they both sound superb and way better than in the Jelco TK850s I was previously using. The Mission is truly superb and as others have commented very versatile by dint of the fluid damping (3 paddles for various cartridge compliance). XTC also sell the paddles and damping fluid. The 774 manual notes the correct paddle size to use for a range of cartridge compliances

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by worrasf; 28-10-2020 at 12:58.
    Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

It should be pointed out that the damping can also be varied by using different viscosity silicone fluid (handy if you only have one paddle ). Possibly the best way to experiment is starting with thick fluid and adding thin silicone oil accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast