+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie.

I'm William.

Default Newbie.

Hello from Ayrshire,

Nice to join the forum and to hopefully contribute to the chat and make friends.

Keen to learn about all things musical and how to get the most from the bits that play the music.

I've been collecting vinyl since the 80's, I like virtually anything and easier to say what's not my cuppa such as thrash metal, garage and hip hop ... basically stuff which assaults the ear drums. Favourites are blues rock, heavy rock and soul. Listen to a bit of jazz and a sucker for anything with a deep resonating cello.

Had an interest in turntables since I could afford one and i've been lucky to have an Alphason first, then a Systemdek iv, Xerxes mk1, Oracle, family hiatus then Raven GT, LP12 and now first DD a Denon DP80 which i'm really enjoying having discovered SPU's.

Rest of my system hasn't changed as much having gone from Musical Fidelity in late 80's to Devialet today. Always loved Harbeth speakers but I have Yamaha's too. Only recently got involved with the digital streaming thing and Qobuz, that was a steep learning curve from zero but I think i'm almost a novice level now. It's not as good as vinyl though is it?

Retired recently, enjoying hiking and fishing when not listening to music and spending time with newly arrived granddaughter - lucky for me in my household bubble as mum works.

Great to be on the forum,

Cheers,

Willie.
    Denon DP80, Fidelity Research FR66s, Koetsu RSP. Allnic t2000, h1202. Acousense streamer, Dac2/Afi/psu. Harbeth HL5 plus. Cardas cables.

I'm Geoff.

Hi William. Welcome to AOS.

Join in the fun and get chatting with the members, you'll find a lot going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robin.

Welcome to the forum Willie
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Rob.

Hi William, good intro. Digital vs Analogue? "It's not as good as vinyl though is it?" well being a teenager in the late 60s it was vinyl or cassette tape and very hit and miss in SQ terms IMO. I have built a couple of turntables over the years and still have a fair amount of vinyl but I rarely spin the platter.

It's nice being retired, I joined the ranks in July 1999 and haven't been busier. We have 3 lovely grandchildren and we get involved with school runs etc. So being retired you will be holding the Fort......William.....Fort.....yeah....i'll get me coat.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Adrian.

Hello William and welcome to the AoS mad house of fun. Sounds like you have a good system, "It's not as good as vinyl though is it?" I tend to agree with, I went to CDs in the 80's, spent quite a bit trying to improve their rendition, then to digital files, and ultimately stop serious listening in the 00's, then 6 years ago got back into vinyl and now its a big

The "What are you Listening to" threads are useful for finding new music, you will find them in https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...l-Compositions, there is a general one and one for Jazz/blue and another for Classical.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm William.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hi William. Welcome to AOS.

Join in the fun and get chatting with the members, you'll find a lot going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your welcome, looking forward to participating.

Cheers,

Willie.
    Denon DP80, Fidelity Research FR66s, Koetsu RSP. Allnic t2000, h1202. Acousense streamer, Dac2/Afi/psu. Harbeth HL5 plus. Cardas cables.

I'm William.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Willie
    Thanks Robin,

Regards,

Willie.

I'm William.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Hi William, good intro. Digital vs Analogue? "It's not as good as vinyl though is it?" well being a teenager in the late 60s it was vinyl or cassette tape and very hit and miss in SQ terms IMO. I have built a couple of turntables over the years and still have a fair amount of vinyl but I rarely spin the platter.

It's nice being retired, I joined the ranks in July 1999 and haven't been busier. We have 3 lovely grandchildren and we get involved with school runs etc. So being retired you will be holding the Fort......William.....Fort.....yeah....i'll get me coat.
    Hi Rob,

I love what i'm hearing on digital too but it is different. I remember making and listening to tapes, one thing it was easier to make them than digitise vinyl .. i'll leave that for when i've recovered from setting up a streaming source

Having wee ones around again is fantastic, never a dull moment, good to hear you're enjoying retirement. Fort William, i wish i could go right now, i'd be the one getting my coat. Hopefully soiner rather than later.

Regards,

Willie.

I'm William.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hello William and welcome to the AoS mad house of fun. Sounds like you have a good system, "It's not as good as vinyl though is it?" I tend to agree with, I went to CDs in the 80's, spent quite a bit trying to improve their rendition, then to digital files, and ultimately stop serious listening in the 00's, then 6 years ago got back into vinyl and now its a big

The "What are you Listening to" threads are useful for finding new music, you will find them in https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...l-Compositions, there is a general one and one for Jazz/blue and another for Classical.

Cheers

Adrian
    Hello Adrian, thanks for your welcome and pointer towards the 'what are you listening to threads' .. i'll be on there shortly, due a splurge on some new vinyl.

You've some lovely equipment too, i love a good Benz mc and had an Ebony L in the past which was so colourful and I do lust after another. Like you I mostly missed the CD explosion which is probably a bonus given Qobuz etc now. It's fantastic how vinyl has taken off again, especially a new generation getting involved.

Regards,

Willie.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS William.

Nice introduction and some nice gear you use. I'm a big admirer of the designs of Ikeda san, so wondered which FR cartridge (and which SPU version) you use?

I'm not going to take sides in the analogue/digital debate as I'm amazed that either technology sounds as good as it does.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread