+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How easy is it to put a new plinth on a Sondek LP12???

I'm Russell.

Default How easy is it to put a new plinth on a Sondek LP12???

I have a mid 80's Sondek LP12 which to my ears sounds great.

It has a Sumiko MMT arm (Jelco for all intents and purposes) with a modified Denon DL103r and a Lingo Power Supply.

It is currently in it's original Rosewood fluted plinth which is the stumbling block now that everything else in my office (where it resides) is Oak wood so stands a bit too much for my liking.

Is it worth getting a new Oak plinth to match my speakers and office furniture and if so, how easy is it to transfer over?

Another option would be to paint or wrap the original plinth but again I know nothing about this so would need some professional help I guess?

Anyone got any tips / ideas they can share?

I'm Karl.

Honestly it’s a piece of piss mate. A lot of the linnies would have you believe that there is some sort of voodoo and only one or two people out there that can do it properly which is none sense. Yes it takes an hour or two and takes a bit of patience and savvy but if you can use a socket set and a screwdriver you will be fine .

If you can undo u few nuts and bolts , and clips and know how to use spirit levels then there is nothing to it. It’s so basic inside you really can’t go wrong if you take your time. When you see it you will wonder why they cost so bloody much. I’m speaking from experience as I built my own from parts as I wasn’t paying linn prices . I’ve since done it numerous times as I upgraded the TT with better parts .

I just leveled up a couple of stools on my table to allow me to get underneath the TT easily then clamped my santos rosewood plinth to those . I then remove everything and bagged and labeled the bits, or just neat piles the second time to keep it organised , then clamp the new plinth on and Releveled again off of the plinth top and sides , then you are good to go if the plinth is well made .

Just systematically rebolt everything back on In reverse order you took it off in. Just as you go , make sure you get all of your spring bolts hang level too.

Don’t over tighten any bolts, just nipped up tight with an extra quarter turn will do otherwise you can deform the thin linn top plate . I had a thick aftermarket top plate so this wasn’t an issue for me.
    Then using the spring bolts level up the platter ,subchassis and armboard until everything is bang on level and plumb and flush with plinth and top plate and that you have a nice even pistonic bounce on the springs .

Then make sure that the tonearm cable is not fouling anywhere or affecting the bounce of the chassis, same goes for the cable from the PSU.

Once that’s done just put the baseboard back on and level it up to your rack. DONE.

It’s just taking the time and effort to get all things leveled that make the difference .

It seems daunting but there is only about 5-10 bolts to undo and some clips for the cables and PSU so just write everything down in order you remove things then retrace your steps when reassembling. And level everything spot on mate .

Happy to help if you need it.

Just depends how valuable your time is as you can probably get a dealer to do it for 100 quid or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Rob.

I thoroughly enjoyed stripping my LP12 down to fit a new sub-chassis. As Karl states it's straightforward, and even a fool like me can managed it.

I built my own maintenance stand to hold the deck while I stripped it, which I think made the job a lot easier. Stack Audio where advertising a rental service for a stand recently - though I can't see it on their site now. I'd suggest contacting them to see if the stand is still available. I'd also recommend Stack Audio upgrades as making a significant improvement to my deck without breaking the bank ... while you've got the deck apart.
    Rob.