+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mono block amps placement

I'm gerald.

Default Mono block amps placement

I have a set of custom made mono block amps with a separate power supply they are mounted on a shelf under my turntable there is a air gap of about 10 inches before the top shelf the area there does get warm ,So my question is is it ok for them to get warm there or would the be better off on a top shelf to get rid of the heat build up?

I'm Pete.

My experience of mono block amps is limited to Meridian 105 and 205 models both of which preferred to be close to speaker rather than close to turntable. I had some little tables that lifted the amps off the ground by about 12" - speaker cable length was about 0.75m, pre to power interconnects were about 2m - and positioned to the side and slightly back from speakers. That gave a much better - cleaner, more precise - sound than having the amps "central" with speaker cables of about 2m. Is that an option for you?

I'm Alan.

With 10 inches above and only getting warm I don't see any problem.

I'm gerald.

My experience of mono block amps is limited to Meridian 105 and 205 models both of which preferred to be close to speaker rather than close to turntable. I had some little tables that lifted the amps off the ground by about 12" - speaker cable length was about 0.75m, pre to power interconnects were about 2m - and positioned to the side and slightly back from speakers. That gave a much better - cleaner, more precise - sound than having the amps "central" with speaker cables of about 2m. Is that an option for you?
    Afraid not there is only one place that are perfect for my speakers but there is no way of having amps close by

I'm Stephen.

I would suggest putting your amps as far away as possible from your turntable. Turntables are very sensitive to EM radiation given the cartridges sensitivity.
    Amplifiers by their nature have large transformers. I am aware that you said they have a separate PSU, however, from the information given, It is always better to side on caution and keep those 2 opposing things separated.
    Sources:
    Turntable - Rega P2 (Modified).
    Streamer - Cambridge Audio Azur 851N.
    Reel to Reel - Akai GX635D.
    NAS - Thecus N4200 Pro.

Amplification:
    Phono Pre - QUAD Twenty Four P.
    Pre Amp - QUAD QC - Twenty Four.
    Power Amps - 2 x QUAD 11 Forty mono blocks.
    Headphone Amp - QUAD PA - One.

Rack:
    Blok Stax 400 and Blok Stax 300

+ Reply to Thread