+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rack Advice

I'm gerald.

Default Rack Advice

My system is stored on Ikea lack tables that the legs have been cut down then the legs have been filled with sand .My deck is mounted on a sheet of 20mm acrylic sheet with sorbothane feet and the deck has Isonoe isolation feet as well .

I have been given a 40" square block 2" thick oak block from what I have been reading oak is not classed as a good mount material to mount decks on I was thinking of using it as a stand alone deck shelf with the 20mm acrylic sheet on the shelf .

Any advice would be much very much appreciated .

Regards Gerry
    Last edited by diviy; 25-10-2020 at 03:49.

I'm Martin.

Anything you sit a turntable on will have some effect on the sound, that's the nature of turntables.

The effect will also be dependant on the design of the turntable. Whether you like the effect or not will depend on you, and to some extent the type of music played.

I wouldn't take any blanket recommendation or condemnation of any shelf material as gospel. The only solution is to try it and see what you think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post

I have been given a 40" square block 2" thick oak block from what I have been reading oak is not classed as a good mount material to mount decks on I was thinking of using it as a stand alone deck shelf with the 20mm acrylic sheet on the shelf .

Any advice would be much very much appreciated .

Regards Gerry
    Not sure why Oak which is pretty dense and heavy would not be OK, you could try these under it and then sit you TT on top of the Oak, it should give good low frequency isolation. https://www.amazon.com/Diversitech-M...3623184&sr=8-5

I have used them under one of these which are good for general isolation, https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/aptitli...mboo-00233429/, I painted it with black lacquer and use it upside down. there are several audio site recommending it as being just as good as expensive isolation platforms. I think it is because the bamboo is ver dense and the board is made by cross lamination so would stop a range of frequencies.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

+1 for the IKEA bamboo chopping board,
    extremely effective.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread