+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technics platter mat design and azimuth setup

I'm Steve.

Default Technics platter mat design and azimuth setup

If I put a straight edge e.g. ruler across my Technics SLD150, then I see that the mat gradually thins out going towards the middle. So when mounted the LP creates a hollow area underneath. Why did they design it this way?

If I set azimuth at vertical then I am happy. If I then put a clamp or weight on the centre I am playing the majority of the record with azimuth out.

No mention in any Technics manual about this hollow, surely this is is detrimental to the sound? Maybe not?

Any thoughts on this mat design? Do after market mats resolve this?

Steve

I'm Graham.

A quick solution would be an oyaide BR-12 which works well on the techie. Cheaper options probably available too.

I'm Steve.

Cheers for the reply Graham. Oyaide products look high quality to me, wasn’t there a metal Br12 once, looked like a sports car shiny brake disk.

Hope they are all perfectly flat.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleton View Post

Hope they are all perfectly flat.
    They are NOT. The design of the Oyaide mats is intentionally „dished“ and they must be used with a weight to allow even „dished“ records to lay in full contact with the mat.
    After all the BR 12 rubber mat works as advertised and „sounds“ fantastic on my Technics 1200G (far better than the original mat)!

I'm Steve.

Thanks Michael,
    So that is indeed interesting. I don’t believe sellers of these Mats always explain that the weight is a default requirement. So can we identify the design reason for the dishing?

It is very important and it means that perhaps I should put my Sl150 dished original from 1976, mat back on, and not use my totally flat cork/ leather combo?

I'm Steve.

...also Oyaide must have researched the best azimuth angle for their mats other than 90 degrees. I guess we are truly into the ‘art’ of vinyl replay here. I can alter azimuth with one of my head shells to experiment.

I'm Michael.

I think most of us have a lot of experience with warped records (insufficient cooling time after pressing, foil packing of the new record too tight…). These warps are most of the times not correctable with a weight (except for the mighty expensive outer rings or vacuum holddown) and have to be accepted
    But more often you find dished records which laid on a flat mat with the convex side up do make contact with the mat only with a very small portion of the surface of the record. Even worse when laid with the concave side up which means only the center of the record is supported and the rest is in free air.
    Both shortfallings are adressed by the concave platter mat and a record weight.
    My suggestion is: use your original mat with a not too expensive record weight https://www.analogueseduction.net/re...zer-clamp.html which is heavy enough to flatten a 180g record and see if you like it.
    Azimuth can usually be adjusted at the headshell-arm connection as there is most always a little play in the SME-type connector. Alternatively a headshell with adjustable azimuth can be used.

I'm Steve.

Nice explanation, thanks. I see the weight/clamp is my friend here. Thanks for the purchase suggestion, however given that my sl150 platter rings better than most actual bells, I need some damping and so the mr12 (butyl / tungsten) and Oyaide weight may offer the right answer. There again we are talking the difference in £250 v £40, and that £40 is Xmas present range!

I'm Michael.

I have the Kuzma ebony clamp (horrendously expensive), the Stillpoints LP1 (bought used, but still expensive) and the mentioned £40 weight and the difference (if any) is very small. Maybe the Oyaide BR 12 is so good at damping the record that the clamp does not matter

I'm Steve.

Well that is high praise indeed for the £40 weight. Yup it’s going on the secret Santa list. Thanks for the recommendation, it looks good and has good reviews too.

How do you set azimuth with a weight. Trial and error perhaps?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast