+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technics platter mat design and azimuth setup

I'm Michael.

As Peter Walker once said: wire is wire! (just kidding!), a weight is a weight!
    I set azimuth with a perspex block with a pattern edged in it https://www.amazon.de/Qiman-Record-M...6C495V99P80JWF and a lightweight extension f.e. a pencil lead on top of the headshell.

I'm Steve.

Peter Walker? Sorry I don’t know of this fellow. I did google the name and I got https://walkeraudio.com/product/record-clamp/

My favourite high end turntable website that I will never be able to afford any of their products...but I read their knowledge and respect it.

$2200 for a record clamp, with diamond crystals. wow. These guys are incredible, and I have actually followed their crystal recommendation with my own quartz crystal experiments (found in my back garden whilst digging the foundations for my pizza oven project) with crystals blu tacked to my head shell to see if sound is improved, by a reduction in RF/EMI.

With a Osawa mag head shell, silver litz wire on the sl150 Sme3009, it did make a difference. The sound became just beautiful, allowing the Nag MP50 to shine.

I use a head shell spirit level from Johnny at Audio origami. Thanks for the link though.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleton View Post
    Peter Walker? Sorry I don’t know of this fellow.
    Mr. Quad.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Gotcha, Geoff. Thanks. A genius in the hi fi world then.

I'm FERGUS.

I read over on another forum that there is supposed to be space between the record and the mat. It's designed this way.... (?)

I'm Steve.

Hi
    Fergus, now that’s interesting. I see that the Sony designers also focused strongly on mat design. The ps4750 had a moon mat, did those circles have some suction effect? This would be a design consideration to prevent record movement, very different solution to a clamp/weight solution. Then I see the top Sony mat was the oil filled one, and Sony actually say to reduce vibration! No dishing effect on Sony mats!?

So I’m seeing 2 requirements- 1. Prevent vinyl slippage and 2. Reduce vibration.

Anymore requirements a mat should meet?

Maybe a space undeneath as you have observed Fergus, but why?

I'm Dennis.

This is good stuff, analysing and questioning the mechanisms involved.

I'm Steve.

Haha, ta Dennis, the mat issue burns up sooo much thread space everywhere. I’m not helping either! Sorry server. Just an itch I need to scratch, just haven’t seen the requirements and design logic listed fully to meet said requirements.

Michael has convinced me of the dishing and clamp solution for possible warping effect, so I guess clever Technics designers did the mat dishing for good reason...I haven’t seen Technics print, oh and we’ve designed it this way so you can buy a clamp weight and get a solid surface interface...? ...but they would have to say also your gonna have to compromise the 90 degree azimuth...which I thought all cartridge manufacturers designed for?

I'm Dennis.

It's all a compromise, but optimisation is the aim.

Strictly a dished record will have altered playing radii, and so pitch will be affected as well as azimuth, and it goes on and on with the variables.

It does seem sensible to me to have an inset to allow the larger record centre to be accommodated and the grooved surface to rest fully on the platter mat. Many top decks do not do this.

I'm Steve.

Optimisation = wide grin when you get that ‘YES, moment, you sit back and enjoy the vinyl experience. I like how Marco describes his experience with the S c35C, Goldring G800 (years ago!) etc. That gives a newbie like me a level of confidence to post my questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast