+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bang & Olufsen advice

I'm Anthony.

Default Bang & Olufsen advice

Hello.
    Advice being sought for a friend. He has B&O 2200 system but wants a bigger sound than delivered by the standard X25 speakers.
    Question is whether anyone has tried larger B&O speakers with success or has introduced an additional amplifier (B&O or other) to boost?
    He would prefer to use B&O speakers to retain aesthetic continuity. But all recommendations welcome!
    Thanks
    Anthony

I'm Martin.

If he wants to stick with B&O then the MC120.2 speakers would be a big step up from the X25. Finding some in full working order might be a problem as the foams go on them, but they can be restored.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Anthony.

Thanks Macca. I’d read about s150.2 on here but not s120.2. Will do some research. Any idea if the source can be boosted with addition of a power amp? Assuming possible is there a period B&O unit?
    Advice greatly appreciated.

I'm Martin.

I don't know, you'd need Beobloke to come and advise on that.

If I had to take an educated guess I'd say that it isn't possible to use an external power amp. You'd need the 2200 unit to have variable line out sockets and I don't think it has.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Anthony.

Thank you Macca!

I'm Adam.

Be careful about going for much larger speakers with the Beocenter 2200. This was designed as an entry-level unit and was mostly made in Japan so doesn't contain a huge amount of B&O inside at all! It was designed to work with the X25 loudspeakers and, as a result, has an in-built loudness compensation that cannot be defeated. This means that with small loudspeakers it sounds fairly reasonable but when you start adding larger loudspeakers with a better bass response, the bottom end become stodgy and over-powered.

Asa result, your friend could go bigger but the MC120.2s mentioned by Martin are overkill. I wouldn't go larger than the S55 personally.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Anthony.

Hi Adam. Thank you so much for your advice. Very useful as it suggests my mate shouldn’t bother trying to do much. He’d be better buying a better source unit. Sincere thanks. Anthony

I'm Adam.

This is the way I'd go and if he likes B&O music centres then he could do far worse than going straight to the top and seeking out a Beocenter 7007 or 7700. The MC120.2s would work perfectly with one of these!

https://beocentral.com/beocenter7700
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Anthony.

Thanks Adam! I’ve passed on the advice & some eBay links!

+ Reply to Thread