+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted Reference Phono Stage

I'm John.

Will let you know how a BB3 performs against a Tron Seven Ultimate when I receive Oli's one later in the week, as will put it up against my TSU.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Will let you know how a BB3 performs against a Tron Seven Ultimate when I receive Oli's one later in the week, as will put it up against my TSU.

This will be very interesting indeed and I look forward to hearing about your findings . Please do keep us posted . I have a funny feeling the price difference won’t be the same as the performance difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    This will be very interesting indeed and I look forward to hearing about your findings . Please do keep us posted . I have a funny feeling the price difference won’t be the same as the performance difference
    Like everything, incremental improvements become more costly, once you get beyond a good standard. Oli's phono stage would likely cost significantly more, if he had to market his designs, provide demonstrators to reviewers, and make his living from manufacturing audio electronics. It certainly will be interesting to hear the comparison.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Zander.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Like everything, incremental improvements become more costly, once you get beyond a good standard. Oli's phono stage would likely cost significantly more, if he had to market his designs, provide demonstrators to reviewers, and make his living from manufacturing audio electronics. It certainly will be interesting to hear the comparison.
    I can see in your equipment list that you are a big fan of TRON. You must really be a Doctor with all his prices

Looking at the pictures of the equipment online reveals a beautiful creation, but i also see how well the Big Bottle is built. It seems he (Ollie) cares a lot about them.

Usually, bespoke items that are hand built and in short quantity are far more expensive than things that are made in bulk. That's how it works in wholesale anyway.

I have been reading a lot about Ollie, Firebottle and I was contemplating a Big Bottle, but a little apprehensive. I think it's a refreshing tale to hear that someone is trying to make a good item that is within reach of the normals.

This comparison is one I will be watching with eagerness. I was leaning toward a TRON convergence...but now I wait.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I have a Paradise phono stage available for £2000.

It is a unique one box Paradise with no loss of performance. Trial welcome.
    Owwwwww muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm John.

I haven't forgotten about this, just waiting for the BB3 to arrive, I had Ollie do some mods (add loading plug sockets & change earth point to banana socket + make a selection of load plugs). Once the new valves have burnt in I will attempt to get my reviewers head on (never written one before) to let you boys know my thoughts.

Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Owwwwww muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yep you can buy a proper one for that money and have it delivered and set up in your home
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm David.

I am surprised that you all seem to be missing some models when for 3k there is a truly outstanding one available below.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/...lifier-review/

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/0...er-review.html

Even Lee Henley bought one and he is very very picky LOL
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm John.

Well I've had the BB3 in my system for a couple of weeks now, and all I can say is WOW!!! The Tron Seven Ultimate has spent 13. 5 of the last 14 days impersonating a doorstop, let me explain.
    A few weeks beforehand I had acquired an early (serial number 1205) Garrard 401 with SME 3009 s2 which I'd fitted with an A&R P77Mg and it was producing a wonderful rich though not as detailed sound as my Bardo/Conqueror/Axia combo via the TSU. A sound I much preferred that made me realise that I had moved too close to that line that exists between musicality and hifi. It was at this point I also realised I wasn't at all happy with my vinyl front end, what I needed was a sound profile halfway between the 401 & Bardo. I then changed arms on the 401, sticking the Conqueror & Axia on it and bingo, I had the sound I wanted. Richness, body AND Detail. At this point I was seriously considering selling the Bardo in favour of the 401.
    Move on a few days, Bardo still on the floor and & 401 rehoused in a heavy plinth I'd been given instead of the hollow lightweight 60s plinth it came with, when the BB3 arrived. I did an a/B against the TSU for a couple of hours then decided the Bardo needed another chance given the sound signature the BB was giving out.
    I put the Conqueror back on the Bardo and fired it all back up, and damn, there it was, the sound I was looking for.
    The BB redeemed the Bardo, changing the decks sound sognature to one with air, space, body, detail and richness. Bere in mind also that this is what the BB did with new valves and only a few hours on the clock. I did put the TSU back in but it only stayed in the system for 3 tracks before becoming an expensive doorstop.
    Don't get me wrong the TSU is a fantastic phonostage, but the BB3 in my system and to my ears gives me the sound signature I've been chasing, though I didn't really know what I wanted until I heard it.
    The BB3 is now fully beded in and sounding absolutely fantastic, better than it did initially, and I didn't think that was possible.
    So when I get round to it the will be a newly serviced (by GT) 2018 SPEC, TSU in the classifieds.

As for the 401 it's now been fitted with an RB250 and the P77Mg and is doing Stirling service in my 2nd system, so will also be selling the 3009 s2.

I'm Paul.

Thanks for the feedback very interesting would love to hear a BB3 in my system one day...for myself I have now got my Tron Seven Ultimate back from GT serviced & with new valves...with my LP12/Karousel/Keel/Radikal/Aro & newly fitted Kandid fitted by Peter Swain it sound absolutely wonderfull...
    Klimax DS/3,Lp12,Keel,Aro,Radikal/1,Kandid & Tron Seven (Ultimate) Klimax Kontrol/1,Solos/1 & Akurate 242's (mark 3)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123