+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nagaoka vs Audio Technica VM

I'm Nuno.

Default Nagaoka vs Audio Technica VM

Hello,
    I have a Planar 2 and I want a new cartridge. The AT has new new serie VM and is more recent than Nagaoka MP 110. What is the best bet, Nagaoka MP 110 ot AT VM 95E?

I'm John.

I would say forget the 95e and look to the 95en, or if you can stretch the budget a little the go for the 95ml.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Graham.

Hi nuno,
    The mp110 is a class above the 95e, so perhaps better compared to vm95en or ml mentioned above. Its got a big sound, fuller and warmer than AT but not as nimble. On some records the treble can occasionally be a little obvious which is not unusual in this price range and most of the time it stays the right side of the line. I havent tried the 95ml but have had several AT carts with this stylus and find the treble is extended and detailed but doesn't get ragged.
    In a system which needs some scale and body the nag 110 could just be the ticket as long as your system is not too exposed in the treble.

I'm Martin.

Nagaoka without question.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Nagaoka deffo, but with my rega rp1, the Nagaoka mp11 (same size as the Mp110) was bigger than the standard Rega Carbon, causing the tone arm tail to be down instead of level/slightly up. Maybe the Planar has more height adjustment/room than the Rega Rp 1. I needed to buy shims to raise the tone arm up! Instead at that moment I said goodbye to the world of Rega and bought a vintage mint Technics Sld 303, where the Nagaoka shines.

I'm Graham.

I think the answer will lie in the direction you want to take the sound of your current system.
    If you want a warmer fuller sound, go the Nag.
    If you want a more open revealing sound, the AT should be ideal.
    Graham

+ Reply to Thread