+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare HD650/HD6XX for a week?

I'm Bruce.

Default Spare HD650/HD6XX for a week?

My last request for an LD1+ amp to audition didn't get anywhere whether due to no LD1+ around or due to lack of relationship or too much bother. So let me explore another direction:

I've heard the praise and limitations around the HD650/HD6XX and am attracted to the vocal/midrange magic especially with valves. At the same time I have some slightly modded M1060 planars which do a whole lot rather well at this price point. I'd like to compare the two side by side to decide which best fits me for the long term, yet needs be that if I buy one will need to finance with the sale of the other.

So it would be good to have a listen to someone's prior to deciding. In this age of CV19, that probably means use of royal mail rather than popping over on the motorway. Any chance someone has an HD650 or HD6XX they could spare for a week? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so thought I'd ask.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Lawrence.

I imagine you'd lose more in insured return postage than buying a s/h pair and moving it on if you don't get on.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

If you lived up in the central belt of Scotland you could have borrowed my HD650 as I rarely use mine nowadays.

I could send them down to you, but Lawrence is right about losing more in insured return than you would on selling them again if you didn't like them.

However, the offer is there if you want to take it up

I'm Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam D View Post
    If you lived up in the central belt of Scotland you could have borrowed my HD650 as I rarely use mine nowadays.

I could send them down to you, but Lawrence is right about losing more in insured return than you would on selling them again if you didn't like them.

However, the offer is there if you want to take it up
    Thank you for that. Let me have a think about his advice and I'll get back to you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Lawrence.

The reason I said this is that I sold a pair of HD700s on eBay with £12 postage thinking I could send it RMSD for about that, but it turned out to be £26 as it was over 2kg! (In the end I used send it now for £20.) I think the box was much heavier than I realised as the 'phones are very light. If you sent the HD650s without the presentation box you could probably get it sent for £11 RMSD each way.

If it was me I'd look out for a pair that go cheap on an auction then, if required, stick them back on at a BIN for the original cost plus postage and PayPal and £1 eBay fees. This strategy has worked for me a few times with things I wanted to try out. It's a bit of hassle watching a few auctions but you could always do snipe bids (something I've never bothered with).

I'm Bruce.

Yeah ok I think I'll try that route.

Bruce

I'm Lawrence.

What amp are you using btw? The 650s sound lovely with OTL valve amps so LD2-4 are better (but then you would probably want a separate amp for your planars).

I'm Bruce.

At the moment I have an E1DA PowerDAC v2 which is an unusual design with decent power. I'm looking at Little Dot or Garage 1217 though. Whether I get a hybrid or OTL model depends on which headphone I decide to keep.

Bruce

I'm Bruce.

I still listen primarily to my main hifi with speakers, so I can't really justify having two headphone rigs. At the moment the speaker amp is in for repairs so am spending a bit more time with the headphones.

Bruce

I'm Lawrence.

How are you getting on with your search?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast