+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turntable well and spindle maintenance....

I'm Jo.

Default Turntable well and spindle maintenance....

I have an Iceni aluminium sub-platter ready to install and also intend to change the bearing used in my Rega P3-24 from the stock stainless steel to a ceramic one. I thought I'd take the opportunity to do some maintenance by cleaning out the well and changing the oil (I have some 80w/90 oil).

At one time Rega recommended a product by RS.Components containing 1.1.1. Trichloroethane, but I am having trouble sourcing it.

What do other TT owners use when they clean their wells? I have some Isopropyl Alcholol (99%) on hand and wonder if that would be a suitable agent.

I'm Dennis.

My standard cleaner is RS Computer Cleaning Solvent, 132-491, it stays around enough to work a cotton bud and remove crap.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Trich is no longer made. We used to use a degreasant utilising it- very good it was too. Replaced with less effective cleaners as it was not a healthy chemical and not good for the environment.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    My standard cleaner is RS Computer Cleaning Solvent, 132-491, it stays around enough to work a cotton bud and remove crap.
    Thanks for the tip, Dennis. If only The R.S.Components website was a bit easier to navigate! I suppose any PCB solvent would work.

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Trich is no longer made. We used to use a degreasant utilising it- very good it was too. Replaced with less effective cleaners as it was not a healthy chemical and not good for the environment.
    Thanks, Ali. I noticed it was banned in many staes in the USA, but wasn't sure anout GB.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    Thanks, Ali. I noticed it was banned in many staes in the USA, but wasn't sure anout GB.
    Not surprised. Solvent abusers died using it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Dennis. If only The R.S.Components website was a bit easier to navigate! I suppose any PCB solvent would work.
    Yes, the bane of my life, poorly designed websites by people who are not able to think clearly.
    But their number is on the site, right hand bottom, and they are better on the phone.

I'm Jo.

Default >>>

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not surprised. Solvent abusers died using it.
    The state and its bannings will always lag behind the ingenuity and daring of those seeking thrills through substance abuse.

I'm Dennis.

I confess that whilst in my apprenticeship, and under the influence of the 'heady' 60s, drug taking and revolution, three of us used our hostel towels to saturate with ether from a one litre bottle one of us had, and we inhaled it from the towels.

Several hours later we went to a Wimpy bar in Bromley, and some of the other customers were saying that they could smell ether, and it was what was coming up from our lungs.

I'm richard.

It's only oil in the bearing housing so any bicycle or motor cycle chain or frame cleaner (degreasant) will do the job. Tiny amount tho...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast