+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cataloging and numbering music collection

I'm Grant.

i sort mine by cd box colours
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    How did those medieval names work? I can't imagine that Herman of Salzburg was the only Herman in Salzburg at the time. Must have led to a lot of cases of mistaken identity.
    True, but he was probably the only Herman in Saltzburg who was composing music at that time. Much like Gerald of Wales was probably the only chronicler in Wales at the time, or at least the only one we know of whose writings are known to us.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    All the CDs have their years of birth and death on the back (if known) so it's not that difficult, but country of origin will usually override exact year if they were born again within a few years of one another.

That way if I fancy some music from the Notre Dame school for example I can go straight to that section and pick what I want. (I've only got a couple of albums of that btw, I was introduced to it through David Munrow's excellent album "Music of the Gothic Era".)

Bach and Handel caused an issue both being born in 1685 but as Handel lived longer, and I find his later music adapted more with European musical development over the period then Bach, then I found it an easy decision to put Bach first.

I also found when I was young that doing this sorting helped me put the music into its historical context and appreciate it all the more.
    Haha - some of those names I cited were taken from a boxed set of Medieval music directed by the late David Munrow. I like the idea that if the exact birth year is unknown, musicologists will often use the term "fl." meaning 'he/ she flourished', denoting a date or period during which a person was known to have been alive or active.

I would file Bach (and his sons) before Handel, simply because "B" comes before "H" (and in connection to the above: Handel would come before Hildegard of Bingen). Whilst I admire your method of cataloging, and admit doing so on a historical basis means that if you are in the mood for some, say, Medieval music you would go to those records filed under the 12th and 13th century; or if Mozart you would look under 18th century, it wouldn't work for me!

A friend at University tried to do something similar with his record collection; putting 'similar' music next to one another. It didn't work of course as 'similarity' is not linear, and he would have had to have some sort of 3-dimensional system. Even then, it wouldn't work physically, but I suppose with an electronic filing system one could apply 'fuzzy' logic, so that if after playing a record you wanted to hear something similar, you would type in the title of the record just played and the system would suggest a few titles that were in some way musically similar.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234