+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cataloging and numbering music collection

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, the "C" is silent.
    lol

A lot of CRAP in most if not all genres. I'm a classic soul and reggae man myself but have heard some quality rap, not necessarily pc, but as rhythmic as you can get and seriously skilled poetic flow.

P.S - The jokes still funny though
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    lol

A lot of CRAP in most if not all genres. I'm a classic soul and reggae man myself but have heard some quality rap, not necessarily pc, but as rhythmic as you can get and seriously skilled poetic flow.

P.S - The jokes still funny though
    I admire the skill, especially if done 'on the fly', but don't really like the result.
    Barry

I'm Robert.

Certainly not pc but case in point.......

One my mate was pumping in his flat this evening

My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

Hi William, 9000 phew. It sounds like you have a cataloging system already. I had a quick search on YouTube and others have had the same problem.

My ramblings on such a large collection:-

If your are going to label each one, and you have the time, then I would be thinking of using a barcode label placed on the outside of the plastic sleeve facing you/on end. Each CD box has a bar code on them (not on the end unfortunately), so you would have to physically somehow move or copy each barcode onto the end of the cd or LP plastic sleeve.

Then a cheap Amazon bar code scanner would in theory help you scan and locate an item from up to 2m away. I see my recent LP,’s also have barcodes (again not on the end though). With older Lp’s no barcodes though! Here you would have to devise/make up barcodes for each item, place one copy in your spreadsheet next to the catalogued Item and then stick a hard copy printed barcode on the plastic sleeve facing you/on end.

So how would this work in practice?

Step 1 Locate your item in your spreadsheet with its own unique barcode
    Step 2 scan the spreadsheet item barcode and save the items barcode into your barcode scanner
    Step 3 Move to the rack/shelf the item is expected to be in
    Step 4 Put the bar code scanner on search/find mode and scan the rack/shelf
    Step 5 The scanner will beep when it locates the target barcode, Hopefully scanners can move at 100 barcodes scanned per second.

So if you don’t have any system at all and the items are randomly placed to scan all 9000 could take 90 seconds at that rate.

These are just my thoughts, I haven’t done this, but bar coding and usb bar code scanners linked to a laptop must be used in libraries, stock rooms, etc already. Amazon sell them for £20 ish. Barcode devising, labelling and printing for older stuff, is old technology, so shouldn’t be terribly expensive either. 9000 items makes a good size database/spreadsheet, you basically have a record shop at home! I only have approximately 400 LP’s. My uncle on the other hand has about 5000, 50’s and 60’s rock n roll, jazz and pop records - mainly singles.
    Best
    Steve
    Last edited by Barry; 22-10-2020 at 21:46. Reason: Name corrected

I'm Steve.

Thanks for correcting to William.�� cheers

I'm William.

Hello John

To really make use of the barcode scanning idea you need the database that identifies the item. I have no idea if this code is for each record manufacturer, I don’t know how barcoding really works. I can see that say for butter in a supermarket it would be the same number no matter what supermarket is selling it, but records I expect are unique numbers each one different. I know in my cd collection there are some catalogue numbers that are the same for completely different artists.

My original problem was putting the record back in order after listening to it. Using a bar code system would need the laptop switched on. I still believe that alphabetical is going to be easier and also puts all that artists recordings in one section. The same reference could be used for CDs which would be stored separately.

Classical would seem to pose its own problems, I do not have many recordings but I think it could be done by composer instead of performer, yes you might end up with 6 copies of Holst Planets, but at least they would be all in one place.

Labeling CDs is easy it fits down the spine, but there is a problem with the cardboard covers, even trying to keep them free from damage is difficult.

Regards

William

I'm Adrian.

Hello John

Have a look at https://clz.com I use this for my CDs and Vinyl collection, you can scan the bar codes to add to the library and you can have it on PC or Mac alternately can have it just on their cloud storage, but this means you cannot add your own data fields. Can also have it as APP on mobile phones or tablets, so great when out and about to check what you already have. You can also enter older stuff using catalog number it picked these up from discogs, it is very rare to not find a match.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

I should have guessed there is already an ‘app’. What is highly coincidental on your link Adrian is that the barcode app is called ‘CLZ Barry’ ! !!

http://www.clzbarry.com/reviews

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Certainly not pc but case in point.......

One my mate was pumping in his flat this evening

At least Biggie Smalls is funny.

'To all the ladies in the place with style and grace
    Allow me to lace these lyrical douches in your bushes (Uh)
    Who rock grooves and make moves with all the mamis?
    The back of the club, sippin' Moët is where you'll find me (What?)
    The back of the club, mackin' hoes, my crew's behind me (Uh)
    Mad question askin', blunt passin'
    Music blastin', but I just can't quit
    Because one of these honeys Biggie got to creep with (That's right)
    Sleep with, keep the ep a secret, why not? (Uh)
    Why blow up my spot 'cause we both got hot?
    Now check it: I got more mack than Craig, and in the bed
    Believe me, sweetie, I got enough to feed the needy (Come on)
    No need to be greedy, I got mad friends with Benzes
    C-notes by the layers, true fuckin' players (Uh)
    Jump in the Rover and come over, tell your friends jump in the GS3
    I got the chronic by the tree (Let's go)'

I'm Jo.

Default >>>

I have nowhere near 9,000 LPs but I find I can get into a rare pickle, usually because I make a decison about filing, then forget i've made that decision, and make another that conflicts with the earlier decision, and so on. Over time resources become fragmented and harder to locate when wanted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast