+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cataloging and numbering music collection

I'm William.

Default Cataloging and numbering music collection

I would be interested to know how Lps, CDs etc are numbered so that they are easy to put back in the racking. I have a a large collection of Lps roughly around 9,000 and the one thing Thai I said I would do when I retire is put them (and keep them) in order. While alphabetical is easy, I find that I have to keep going through the alphabet to put them back in the right place. I have developed what I think is a logical system that primarily uses numbers. For example,

Lps fo the band CREAM would be labeled:

C - 18.5 - 1/6

C - first letter on the band name
    18 - 18th letter of the alphabet
    5 - 5th letter of the alphabet
    1 - first artist with this number
    6 - 6th Lp in the collection

So for CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL it would be

C - 18.5 2/1

So as you see very similar but vey unique

2 - second artist in the collection
    1 - first lp

So when putting them back on in the rack once you have located the C section then it is all numerical.

It would also be possible to list the lps for that artis in year order, but that might be just going a bit to far as if you bought an earlier record you would have to renumber them all.

I do keep all my records in plastic sleeves to protect then so I intend to stick a label on each cover to assist.

Anyway it’s just an idea it would also help in cataloging the collection onto computer as each gets a unique number.

Just my thoughts for now.

How do yo do yours.

Regards

Bill

I'm Mike.

House clearance dream!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm William.

Need a big van.

But of course if I ever mange to do it they will be all cataloged.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I separate them by genre: Classical; Blues; Jazz; Soul and Reggae; Folk; Rock and Pop; 'World', 'audiobooks' and radio recordings (the latter two being filed together). And by separate, I mean each genre has its own separate rack(s).

Within each genre the artist or performer is filed alphabetically (and by surname if it is a single performer or is the notional leader of a group/ensemble). For each artist(s) the recordings are filed in chronological order by date of recording.

When it comes to Blues, if the artist uses a 'stage name', such as Muddy Waters, or Howling Wolf, then recordings made by them are filed alphabetically under the first 'name', that is M" and "H" for the above examples.

For 'World' music, I file the artist(s) geographically by longitude going west to east from the UK; thus African music comes before music from Arabia, which come before East Asia and before the Americas. Somewhat Quixotic I know, but it works for me.

Classical is more complicated. Composers are always filed alphabetically by surname. Then for each composer, the ensemble size is arranged alphabetically: thus cello concertos come before piano concertos and violin concertos etc., and these before operas, quartets, quintets, sonatas, symphonies and trios.

Because I have single pieces of work performed by different soloists and orchestras, these works are sub-divided alphabetically by the soloists surname, and the same by the name of the orchestra; and if the work has been recorded more than once by a particular orchestra but with a different conductor, then again a sub-devision is made by the conductor's surname in alphabetical order.

Quite often a classical record will have more than one piece of work; for example Mozart's 40th and 41st symphonies. They are filed in order of the first title. If a recording is made which has work by two different composers, then it is filed under the first named composer as described above. Finally collections, for example pieces performed on the viola, are simply filed under "V".

General collections or compilations are filed at the very end (after "Z") of the particular genre. Since these are usually only a few in number, I'm not too fussy about strict filing.

The system is not infallible, and I do sometimes 'loose' recordings which have been mis-filed, but in general it works well for me. The only problem I sometimes have is with 10" LPs - these can often get lost, pushed back between two 12" records.
    Last edited by Barry; 22-10-2020 at 17:58. Reason: addition
    Barry

I'm William.

Thanks Barry

That’s similar to how a book library works, crime drama, history etc. I did think of that but I have to many that I would just classify as ‘pop’ I don’t have that many classical so don’t have a problem there For contemplations I file them under ‘Various’ it’s gets difficult filing by genre eg the Eagles and Poco not sure if they are the same and country and new country. I need to look on discogs to see if they categorise artists.

I need to give it some thought. But you still have to place them back in the system in the right place.

Regards

Bill

Agreed there can be some ambiguity with filing under a particular genre. That is why my 'Rock and Pop' catagory includes some Heavy Metal, Grunge, Punk and New Wave. 'Country', of which I have very little (mostly Johnny Cash and Linda Ronstadt) is filed next to Soul and Reggae. But one could argue that it is American folk music and so should be filed under 'Folk'. The Eagles and Poco are all filed under 'Rock and Pop'.

I do have a problem with artists 'crossing over' - is late John Martyn folk or pop-jazz? Is late Joni Mitchell jazz crooning or folk? Argh - maybe doing it all alphabetically has some merit after all!

Categorisation used by Discogs is even more specific.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agreed there can be some ambiguity with filing under a particular genre. That is why my 'Rock and Pop' catagory includes some Heavy Metal, Grunge, Punk and New Wave. 'Country', of which I have very little (mostly Johnny Cash and Linda Ronstadt) is filed next to Soul and Reggae. But one could argue that it is American folk music and so should be filed under 'Folk'. The Eagles and Poco are all filed under 'Rock and Pop'.

I do have a problem with artists 'crossing over' - is late John Martyn folk or pop-jazz? Is late Joni Mitchell jazz crooning or folk? Argh - maybe doing it all alphabetically has some merit after all!

Categorisation used by Discogs is even more specific.
    Someone told me you even have a RAP section
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Someone told me you even have a RAP section
    Yes, the "C" is silent.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, the "C" is silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Genre then date of release. But what to do with jazz funk ? ? ? ? ?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast