+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello All from North Surrey

I'm Stephen.

Default Hello All from North Surrey

A quick hello, I found this forum whilst looking for detail on some speakers and found there was a thread that mentioned my village. Unfortunately the record store in West Molesey (Langleys) is no more the owner having been forced out some four years ago by the newly privatised Royal Mail.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/sur...-mail-11946465

So, what do I have here that might be of interest ?

Not a lot, I love my pair of very comfortable H6 headphones, they make everything sound good - except Adele, not the fault of the equipment - when plugged into the ageing iPad, plus the inline mute/volume control works. Their only downside manifests itself in summer temperatures with sweaty ears.

I have some vinyl sitting in the back room, played on a linear deck, part of an Akai 313 music centre I bought new over 35 years ago (stop sniggering), but there is an acceptable turntable ready to take over once I find a reasonably priced amplifier. Stupidly I threw out a Rotel receiver (RX52 ) some years ago which I could probably have repaired for next to nothing, but I do have a Marantz thing that I will take the lid off when I get a few moments spare

Other stuff here, non high fidelity but not far off, a pair of Denon M51s that the Akai does well with, plus a standalone five speaker smart home device that I was working on a few years back when I was dealing with the technology in France. It's defunct , class D throughout but the app still works, including the Dragon style voice activated search engine so I can listen to few thousand internet radio stations and podcasts hanging out in the ether.

Hopefully I can provide some input to questions that skirts near the technical side of the forum, repairs and such like since I have been working in the TV and satellite industry for far too long not to have got my hands dirty with screwdrivers, various hammers, heatsink paste and 60/40 solder.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Channel Hopper; 22-10-2020 at 20:54.

I'm Rob.

Hi Stephen, a very interesting read. Let us know what sort of music floats your boat. Welcome.

Rob.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Graham.

Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum. If you want to buy some used vinyl, Ben's records in Guildford is a great place to burn some time.

Also, when covid is over there is a great record fair held at Guildford, again organised by Ben.

https://bens-collectors-records.business.site/

Hope u enjoy the site

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Hi Stephen, a very interesting read. Let us know what sort of music floats your boat. Welcome.

Rob.
    Is there a particular section in which I to respond for such follow ups, or just stick them here ?

Btw the speaker question that took me here was over a pair of Heco things, not mine. I do have some Teledynes in storage though, the Akai struggled with those so I played safe with Denon.

I'm Stephen.

Graham

Same sort of question, though I'll look around in the next few days on vinyl threads/sections. I seem to acquire stuff rather than buy these days. Can always do worse than look in local charity shops but it is luck of the draw. An 8.30- 5 plus commute job doesn't help.

I'm Graham.

It used to be possible to get some good stuff from charity shops but most seem to have cottoned onto the vinyl revival and either sell high or maybe they move stock onto to dealers.
    I find the best bargains to be had are at fairs nowadays and Ben's also has a lot of good value LPs.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Stephen. Welcome to AOS.

Yes, you can post a reply about your music choices here and we won't snigger at your Akai music centre , every type of audio is appreciated on AOS, Hi-Fi snobbery is discouraged.

Feel free to join in any chat that interests you or start your own threads.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

Thank you for accepting my purchase from the 80's, I may barge in on the 'longest surviving cd player' at some point with my Philips unit ('twas the only one with similar dimensions to the stack') .

Musical choices, hmmmm. Nothing (too) out of key, lots of electronic stuff from the time I was born right through to now. Definitely good vocals (not into opera, though Freddy Mercury made his bed with Monserrat and pulled it off). Humour music, well versed( think Ivor Biggun, The Goodies, even Monty Python)

Genre , no preference. Orchestral, band, acoustic, vocal, concert or home grown, if there is a pattern that interests the ears then I'm happy to listen.

Era, any if the artist cuts the mustard they have a place in my collection, the only gripe would be those that go to the length of masking a better talent through their label, the requirement of their sponsor(s), or go down the route of 'greatest hits' once sussed.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Stephen,

Nice introduction - don't worry about your system, it's only the means to an end: the enjoyment of music.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Jason.

hi Stephen.
    Welcome.
    i think you have a nice system.
    if it brings your music closer to your heart that matters more then anything
    as i have heard high end stuff that sounded bright as a dentist drill. lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast