+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS Audio Power Plant Premier

I'm Hugo.

Default PS Audio Power Plant Premier

I have been thinking of getting a mains regenerator for some time, since my mains here hovers around 250v and is not too good in terms of distortion nasties either. Martin T is an advocate of the PPP and his system certainly sounds pretty good fed from one. So a few of weeks ago I was about to buy one off eBay when I noticed a one year old example on http://hifi-adverts.co.uk/ , so I struck a satisfactory deal and it's been with me for the last 2 weeks, feeding my system (listed below).

I thought that the PPP is a regenerator, like the ExactPower that I tried before and did not particularly rate; however it's a clever device that applies on-the-fly correction to the incoming mains. At least that's how I understand it, but anyone curious can go to PS Audio's website for technoblurb. Whatever, this compact box can supply up to 1500w of power, which is enough, without getting red hot or inflating the electricity bills. It can be set so that when turned off, the outputs are still live, which is novel, but nevertheless points to the PPP being a bit like a piece of wire with clever electronics applying correction signals as required. Maybe that's why the quality of the incoming mains lead is so important, as I found out. The display is quite informative, showing the incoming mains voltage, incoming mains distortion, output voltage and output distortion. There's a small set screw underneath for adjusting the output voltage.

Since my mains is very high, I wanted to set the output voltage to be no more than 230v, but I soon found out that the PPP has a limited range of adjustment. I could get it to a tad over 230v, but the distortion rose to very nearly the same as on the incoming mains. Adjusting to 235v resulted in output distortion of 0.4% against around 2.2% on the input, and all my gear seems happy with that.

One option is something called 'Multiwave' which is supposed to improve efficiency of power supplies; however I'm not sure that I can detect what it does. If I can sense anything, it's slightly in the negative, so this option remains switched off. Of much more interest is the 'Cleanwave' option, which applies a degaussing signal to demagnetise transformer cores connected to the PPP. It works - the system sound is much more graceful after a 60 second burst of Cleanwave. All options are available via the remote control, which is handy.

What about the sound, then? In short, I now get the same sort of 'late night' listening bliss at any time of day. I superficial terms, the bass is cleaner and deeper, but it is the lack of hardness and stress that makes listening a constant pleasure. I've been enjoying Solveig Slettahjell's CD 'Silver' and this has been simply breathtaking since the PPP has been set up properly - astonishingly atmospheric, detailed, intimate. Simply lovely, and my neighbour is probably sick to the back teeth of this Norwegian singer now, but I am not!

I mentioned mains leads and this definitely warrants a few more words. I did not have enough quality leads (Vertex Roraima with Furutech uber-bling connectors) to hook up all the gear as well as the PPP, so I made do with the supplied kettle lead. The resulting sound was OK, but not exactly inspiring - certainly not good enough to buy the PPP had I been demming it from a dealer. Moving one of the Vertex Roraimas onto the incoming mains indicated what the PPP could do, but it was a PITA swapping leads over from CD to vinyl etc. I could hear the potential, though. Luckily, I had the option to try some more Vertex leads that are being flogged off, so in went a Roraima+ lead, which I believe contains some mains filtering as well as acoustic filtering (the ordinary Roraimas have acoustic filtering only). Dear God, what a difference! The system has literally come alive with such power, grace, dynamics, tonal colour, etc, etc. It's completely wonderful! But the PPP would not be doing so well without such a good mains lead. Reading Martin Colloms' review in HiFi Critic, he came to much the same conclusion.

So, I am happy to have bought such a transforming piece of kit for not far off half the price of a new item. It's an audiophile bargain.

I'm ILOB.

Yes clean mains makes a big difference I am really glad it worked well for you
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Hugo.

Having played around a bit more with mains leads, the Vertex Roraima+ came out, and in went the ordinary 'cooking' Roraima lead. Much to my surprise, I prefer the cheaper cable, without a filtering network - details of notes are better portrayed and there is a more natural feel to the music, in comparison with the more expensive lead. That's a bonus!

A reality check followed, whereby I reinstated my DIY-wired Olsson distribution block. I'm pleased to report that the PPP does significantly improve all aspects of musical reproduction in my system - without it, there is little sense of musical occasion. It all sounds a bit drab and mechanical compared with the PPP-fed system.

Now for a bit of Foo. The PPP has to sit on the floor in front of my rack, as there is presently nowhere else for it to go. Supporting it on Stillpoints (OEM version) brings about a rather remarkable transformation: playing Solveig Slettahjell again, a real sense of musical anticipation is apparent that is pretty much absent sans Stillpoints.

So, this remarkable device needs just as much care with regard to mains leads and supports as any other piece of audio equipment.

I'm Steve.

Glad to hear such positive comments about mains regeneration. I've managed to obtain a PurePower 2000 at a great price and am looking forward to hooking it up.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

MartinT Guest

Hey, Hugo, I'm really pleased it worked out for you. I went down the path of mains lead (a high current Kimber Powerkord for me) and siting (on my isolated Solid Tech system rack). I slightly prefer Multiwave to standard, but there's not much in it. And Cleanwave is incredible in its 'cleaning' powers at the start of a listening session.

My PPP is a relatively small percentage of the cost of the whole system but I consider it essential, so much so that I would prefer to downgrade other components than take it out.

I'm ILOB.

I agree good mains treatment benefit from good isolation really helps to tighten things up for me it had similar results to putting in the unit
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    My PPP is a relatively small percentage of the cost of the whole system but I consider it essential, so much so that I would prefer to downgrade other components than take it out.

Totally get where you come from for me my balanced mains is one of the last equipment I would get rid off

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    But the PPP would not be doing so well without such a good mains lead. Reading Martin Colloms' review in HiFi Critic, he came to much the same conclusion.
    When you think about it, that single lead becomes the one through which your entire system is fed. It stands to reason that it becomes a critical choice.

I'm ILOB.

I also find the lead going into the my balanced transformer critical to optium performance the leads feeding the equipment from the unit are not as critical.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I also find the lead going into the my balanced transformer critical to optium performance the leads feeding the equipment from the unit are not as critical.
    My findings exactly, John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast