+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i go for a pair of Meridiaan 105s?

I'm Mike.

Default Should i go for a pair of Meridiaan 105s?

My current system is a Meridian 562V controller, Meridian 200/203 CD/DAC, Meridian 518 DSP with a Linn Sondek and Rega Phono input, amplification is a Musical Fidelity FX2, speakers are floor standing B&W 600s.. I have been on the lookout for a Meridian 557 power amp but I have seen pair of Meridian 105s for sale with a 201 pre-amp and a 209 remote control. The buyer says the pre-amp and amps were upgraded 5 years ago. He is asking £500 for the package. I don't need the 201 as the 562V performs the functions of a pre-amp but the buyer may not split the package.

What are the collective views, is this a change worth considering, would the power amps be a step up over the FX2s or should I hold out until I come across a 557?

I have contacted the seller, he is on a Facebook hi-fi page, and asked him for details of the upgrade and whether he has the original boxes, manuals and interconnects.

Thanks all

I'm Gary.

557 Owner here, can't speak to the other kit you list but this amp is a beast.
    Mines was recently recapped and serviced.

Wonderful, neutral sounding amp with enough current delivery to make your trouser legs flap.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Ian.

I love the 100 series, best models ever in my humble opinion but £500 sounds a tad high for the combo. Can you buy the power amps on there own

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    I love the 100 series, best models ever in my humble opinion but £500 sounds a tad high for the combo. Can you buy the power amps on there own
    Had a chat with the seller and he won't split so I will give it a miss as i don't need the pre-amp. Might look out for a pair of 105s on ebay.

I assume you have the 105s, what system do you have and what are your views on them?

I'm Pete.

Hi Mike

I had 105s (with 101 preamp + 104 tuner) in the mid 1980s and thought they were very good. I replaced the 101 preamp with a 201 around 1988 and quickly realised that the 105s were not quite up to the job - the sound seemed to be a bit closed in compared with the 205s that I had heard the 201 demo'd with. After a period of saving up I replaced the 105s with 205s.

Nowadays I am using a Meridian G55 power amp and do not really need the 205s - have been considering "ebaying" them with a "start" price of £600 (+ post).

So, would a pair of Meridian 205 amplifiers be of interest? - very good working order, a few chips on the casing paintwork.

I would be prepared to let these go for £500 inc post if interested.

I'm Paul.

As the proud owner of a pair of 205s, I would thoroughly recommend them. They're the single biggest leap in quality for my system : it's just knowing you've got a great engine that allows everything else to be chopped and changed. I doubt I'll ever part with them or need anything else.

I've also used them with both a passive and an active pre- and they sound excellent with either.
    I paid £320 for mine about ten years ago, so Pete's offer sounds about right to me with P&P as I also paid another forty quid on top for petrol as the fella was in the Midlands and met me outside Oxford on the A34.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    Hi Mike

I had 105s (with 101 preamp + 104 tuner) in the mid 1980s and thought they were very good. I replaced the 101 preamp with a 201 around 1988 and quickly realised that the 105s were not quite up to the job - the sound seemed to be a bit closed in compared with the 205s that I had heard the 201 demo'd with. After a period of saving up I replaced the 105s with 205s.

Nowadays I am using a Meridian G55 power amp and do not really need the 205s - have been considering "ebaying" them with a "start" price of £600 (+ post).

So, would a pair of Meridian 205 amplifiers be of interest? - very good working order, a few chips on the casing paintwork.

I would be prepared to let these go for £500 inc post if interested.
    Hi Pete,

Where are you located and do you still have the original boxes, manual and all necessary interconnects?

Thanks

I'm Pete.

Hi Mike

I'm in Oldham. Usually I would have no hesitation in inviting you round to have a listen but covid-19 restrictions...

I thought I still had the original boxes in the loft but, on checking, I certainly have 2 boxes the right size and shape. Possibly these were the inner boxes and I am missing the outer box - If I remember correctly these came packaged with both in a large box, like the 207. However would be carefully packaged for Courier delivery as 2 parcels.

The manual got misplaced years ago, probably during a house move. You can download/print a copy from here http://www.meridian-audio.info/public/205user[188].pdf

Interconnects and speaker cables are something you need to provide with lengths to suit your system - Meridian did not supply anything other than power leads. Worth noting may be that these amps seem to perform best when positioned close to speakers ie with short speaker cables and phono to phono interconnect cable of suitable length to reach preamp.

I'm Mike.

Hi Pete,

I'm quite happy to make a trip up the M5/M6 to collect rather than trust a courier.

I have never had a pair of monoblocs before; at the moment input into the power amp is from the DAC, so presumably both monoblocs will need to be connected to the DAC, or is one monobloc connected to the DAC and this is then connected to the other monobloc - does that make sense? Just need a bit of guidance as this is new to me and the user manual does not really help. A diagram would be really helpful.

I have speaker cables, and it looks as if I will need one more pair of interconnects.

I'm Mike.

Hi Pete,

I've done a bit of research and it is much more simple than I thought, each monobloc has a single interconnect into it, I thought it would be more complex than that for some reason.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast