+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypoallergenic family dog recommendations

I'm Kevin.

Thanks all. As I thought, fish are the best option, with a budgie beingba close 2nd.

My daughter understands we can't have pets due to allergies.
    I will keep to that reason.

Cats are out, as we live next to a road that is busy during peak hours. I have already seen several cats killed near my house.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Remember, dogs need walking and bigger dogs need longer walks. Be prepared for vet bills too, these days they can be huge! (and I hate people who put a dog down at the slightest hint of cost!!)
    absolutely right.

We got our Staffy when we were both at work, but one or other of us could get home early/at lunchtimes - we justified the hours that the dog was alone as we looked on it as being better than the dog being in kennels (getting highly stressed) and potentially being put down.
    Now that I am retired Tia (the dog), gets pissed off with not having more time to herself.

You are in a tricky position: ideally, a puppy is good with small children as they can grow up together. Unfortunately, a puppy needs lots of time with people to grow up happy and well adjusted.

I don't know about hypoallergenic cats: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...cat-180968819/
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Geoff.

What about a hamster or rat? Rats are highly intelligent and make good pets.

You could take your daughter to a petting farm or petting zoo and see what animals she gets on with, there may be some she won't be allergic to.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I'm taking the mutt out in a minute. I'm not sure who needs the walk and fresh air most, me or her!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Remember, dogs need walking and bigger dogs need longer walks. Be prepared for vet bills too, these days they can be huge! (and I hate people who put a dog down at the slightest hint of cost!!)
    Yes indeed. My Lab, Jake, never ailed a thing until the last couple of years of his life, he developed Type 1 Diabetes and then Diabetic Neuropathy which none of the vets had ever seen in a dog before. Common in cats apparently. It took an MRI and other tests at a cost of 2.7k to get to the bottom of this. Then he had to have insulin injections twice daily for the remainder of his life. Still miss him.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

If you want a dog, then working full time you would definitely need a walker every day you're not home. Dogs hate being left outside the family home - even in garden - so that;s a big no no. I'm lucky as I know a local lady who walks my dog for an hour or often longer at no extra cost. Try to use someone local, rather than a professional company.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

How about one of those freaky hairless cats? I met one the other day, it was a lot less horrible than it looked.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Kevin.

No cats. They won't live long enough.

Fish are definitely the way forward.
    Last edited by CageyH; 12-10-2020 at 11:46.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    No cats. They won't live long enough.

Fish are definitely the qay forward.
    Cats tend to outlive dogs.

I'm Patrick.

Cats tend to outlive dogs.
    Not when there is a busy road involved (read up-thread).

When we had our litter of Border Terrier puppies, I wouldn't sell to people who weren't going to be at home for most of the day, even those who said they could get back at lunchtime. Puppies need a lot of time and company or they will be stressed, anti-social and will destroy things. Ultimately neither of you will be happy.

You could consider an indoor Rabbit or Guinea Pig maybe? Beware of cables though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast