+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypoallergenic family dog recommendations

I'm Kevin.

Default Hypoallergenic family dog recommendations

My daughter keeps asking for a pet, and my wife thinks it would be a good idea, but she is allergic to cats and dogs.

So, I have been doing a bit of research, and it seems that there are a few suitable dogs breeds that woukd be giid.

The question is, which would be most suitable for a 5 year old child? I am most tempted by a mini schnauzer or a westie, as I want a small to medium size dog.

We have a large garden, and the dog is likely to spend the day outdoors when we are at work (one of the reasons I don't think a pet.is a great idea). I will build a shelter, or make a hole in the shed wall so it has shelter available with water etc.

So based on the fact we work 5 days a week, is getting a dog a good idea? If so, which is best suited for a child? I have limited experience with dogs - I had one as a pet when I was growing up, so I am.hoping those with a lot more experience can ooint me in the right direction.

My plan B was to get her some fish....
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    is getting a dog a good idea?
    No. Dogs aren't just 'things' that can be plonked outside for the entertainment of a child, they need human interaction and respond to affection. They may survive outside in the cold and damp (which some poor animals have to), but really a dog should be treated as part of the family and kept indoors. They are highly intelligent and reward kindness.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

shih tzu's are usually fine hair wise.. good size and my daughters is good with people.. I wouldnt keep a dog outside tho. certainly not a pet. They are out usually during day a few days a week, and dog is fine in house by self, after being introduced to it when young but she likes company too and pines a bit. Its all about training them and understanding their psyche and feelings really.
    fish are great pets that dont need too much looking after.. (depending on fish and enviornment of course)Tropicals indorrs are great, but need more attention. Goldfish in a pond outdoors is fine too.
    Then there is a budgie; can be good companions
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

It would be part of the family (when we are at home) and would sleep indoors.
    I honestly thought it would be happier outside in a 2 acre garden than being shut indoors. This is why I am asking before we get one.

My plan was go build a good sized kennel so that it has shelter, and either get a second for company, or toys for it to play with.

But if it is a bad idea I will start looking for an aquarium.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm mark.

If you out regularly all day, I’d say bad idea especially if your considering a puppy.
    Dogs are great for family development, maybe ask local kennels/dogS home if you could volunteer some walking time.

Borrow my dog also lets dogs out.

I'm Adam.

I agree - it’s a bad idea to have a dog if you’re leaving it alone all day. Our friends had a similar idea and built a fantastic outdoor run/kennel/shelter for their dog that was a work of art. However, when they kept having to go home due to complaints from the neighbours about the dog howling continually, they realised the folly of their idea.

If you’re not around, go for cat. There are several breads that gave hair rather than fur, or you could even go for the hairless variety.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No. Dogs aren't just 'things' that can be plonked outside for the entertainment of a child, they need human interaction and respond to affection. They may survive outside in the cold and damp (which some poor animals have to), but really a dog should be treated as part of the family and kept indoors. They are highly intelligent and reward kindness.
    This. ^

I don't think it's fair in any way to get a dog when you both work full time. Not to suggest it would be badly treated, but I think it's very unfair on the dog to be home alone all day.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Adrian.

Hi Kevin

A difficult one, especially when you have a young daughter pleading for a dog.

I am on my 4th dog, first was a Rough Collie, Goldie, I had her from the age of 10 till she passed at 14 years. I had no siblings so she was my best friend, highly intelligent, and went everywhere she could with me, slept outside my bedroom door and woke me up in the morning, was waiting at the front of the house at 4 o'clock when I came home form school. She was easy to train and very loving, my mum was home at least half the day so she did not get lonely. She need LOTS of grooming, shed lots of hair if you forgot, and needed exercising twice a day for 45-60 minutes. So up early for walks and after school.

When I was 36 we got an Irish Red Setter, Hattie, a beautiful and intelligent dog, My wife was working part time which is why we waited till then. Anyone who tells you Irish Setters are scatty/stupid knows nothing, they are head strong and have a mind of their own so can be hard to train, but love and treats wins through. Sadly we lost her in a freak accident at 3 years, which broke out hearts. Shortly after we got another Mollie, very similar character but more laid back, they are all different. After loosing Mollie we had a break for 3 years and we now have Harry as you see on my avatar picture. He is obstinate, naughty, but is the most loving dog ever, he just wants to be with me and wherever I am in the house follows me there, and either goes to sleep or watches me. They all needed 2-3 hours of walking a day, and I am not talking a amble around the park, proper exercise. 2 of them had big visits to the vets, one to Bristol Vetenary Hospital to diagnose a skin allergy problem Mollies had, £3K later in 2001 and she was improved after 9 months of injections that we did at home to de-sensitise her. Harry we nearly lost in 2018 when he got a twisted gut, more common in large deep chest dogs, all dog is like a sausage that lies in their chests and can twist, this trap the main artery to the heart and if not operated on quickly enough they die. Harry survived, but only about 50% do, the vet bill was over £2K.

I friends daughter had a Westie, a lovely dog called Teddy, she promised to walk, feed, groom and clean him, it lasted for about 3 months, and then the novelty wore off, so mum and dad ended ups doing that, poorly in my opinion. Westie's are prone to ear infection problems and also can suffer from skin issues, I think it is a genetic issue in some breed lines.

Schnauzers were breed as rat catchers and guard dogs, they have independent minds so you must train them early on within the first year after that it will be a struggle. A local friend had two standard Schnauzers who were generlly fine, but we very territorial, and people they did not know or those they sensed apprehension with would get a mouthful fo barking from them. Did not be fooled into thinking a smaller one will be easier, I know of two locally and Harry will not go near them, they are full of attitude and bark at every other dog that comes near them or the owner. Only get one if you do not mind a small barking/yapping dog that you cannot stop doing it.

Because a dog is small do not think it does not need lots of exercise, terriers for example, which are general working dogs will go ono and on all day long, they were bread to get rabbits, ferreting and so on. So bear in mind this sort of dog will need strong recall training or it will be off down a suitable hole.

All dogs in my experience DO NOT like be left alone for long periods of time, they will become bored, we never left our dogs for more than 4-5 hours. If left for long periods they may develop anti-social behaviour as a result, and even become destructive. You suggested leaving one in a garden all day, well that may work in better weather but, once winter hits unless it is a Husky type dog or one bread for cold conditions it is not a great idea. Also if boredom sets in most will find a way to dig themselves out of the garden. I have seen dogs chained up in gardens, this is extremely cruel and dangerous for the dog, it is not unknown for them to be strangled or injured by the chain wrapping around legs when they are upset by a neighbour or a postie.

If you do get one whatever you do INSURE it, vets bills are not cheap!!! Remember it may initially be your daughters dog but effectively will be yours, our Harry costs us around £1800-2000 a year, for food and treats, and £600 is insurance as he is older, a small-medium sized dog will be around £1500/year. Insurance will start at around £20/month and will gradually go up each year, roughly £3-5/year increase depending upon its history of illness, we insure Harry through NFU with our house insurance which is the most cost effective way, and we take the maximum per year payout.

By the way small dogs are not necessarily the best with children, it just depends, some can be very snappy and anxious and this does not go well with a young child pulling it about. Also do not think a small dog cannot do serious damage to a child, it can it has teeth and it will use them if hurt or frightened!. I have seen a farmer stood over a dead sheep holding a piece of rope he had tied to the terrier that had killed, he was asking the dogs owner and her daughter what she wanted to do with the dog. The woman had no concept that their sweet little dog would do such a thing.

Some larger breeds are very good with children, Rough Collies, Irish and English Setters, believe it or not. All our Setters if you gave their lead to one of our young nieces or nephews aged anything from 3 to 11 at the time they would just quietly walk with them and not pull, it was extraordinary they just instinctively knew they could easily pull a small person over. I would be careful about Labrador's, whilst reasonably easy to train they tend to be a one person dog, and what is not generally known is that they are the most sited breed for attacking other dogs. I would avoid hunting type hound dogs with possibly one exception, a Weimaraner can be a lovely family pet, and an easier to keep coat, not always recommended for a 1st time owner, it will need lots of exercise and loves to run and have fun.

One other dog a lot of people do not consider is a standard poodle, they are extremely intelligent and ranked just behind a border collie, so easier to train, also the wool coat may help with your wife's allergies. Our sister-in-law had a black bitch Dee-Dee, she was just wonderful, she would play with our very young nephew at the time and sit by him when he was asleep. The smaller poodles have similar traits but can be quite demanding and have that small dog in your face attitude.

One breed Sue and I have considered as we get older, is a Working Cocker, these generally are intelligent and have a lovely nature and are great fun and very affectionate, but you must be prepared for lots of exercise and play.

Any dog if treated right, and given love and your attention will give you its 110% love back and more, it will surprise you on a regular basis and will become your best friend. But you only get back what you put into it, ignore them, don't train it early on, leave it alone, neglect it and you will end up with an uncontrollable nightmare and it will not be the dogs fault.

I hope this may give you some insight and I am sorry if not all of what I have said is what you want to hear, but to be honest that is the way it is.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

No dog should be left alone for more than 5 hours is recommended these days especially when young as they need toilet breaks, also lonely dogs can be destructive.

If you both work full time then I'm sorry it's a no from me.

In the UK, taking a big risk leaving dogs in garden Kennels, with dogs new being sold at £2000-£3000 they're being targeted all over the UK.

I'm Geoff.

Remember, dogs need walking and bigger dogs need longer walks. Be prepared for vet bills too, these days they can be huge! (and I hate people who put a dog down at the slightest hint of cost!!)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast