+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Test records

I'm John.

I generally set bias at 50-60% of vtf, no EoS distortion to my ears when set this way.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I generally set bias at 50-60% of vtf, no EoS distortion to my ears when set this way.
    Depends to some extent on the arm and on the stylus profile, but I find that the bias required is usually only a fraction of the VTF. Spherical stylii require quite high bias, whereas those cartridges using a 'fine line stylus' need less.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by martinjohn308 View Post
    I’ve used the Hi Fi Sounds test record bought new in 1978 for the princely sum of £2 ! I mainly use it for channel identification. Setting up the Stiletto LP 12 was left to the late Derek Jenkins R.I.P who I knew since 1982. He once told me that the other person he’d recommend was a Phil March.

Regards,

Martin
    Is that is the Derek whom I knew for a long time and who worked with Dave Wiley at the Sound Organisation, London Bridge?
    I spoke to him shortly before he passed, he was at KJ, and set up my friend's Linn. Rather young, and very sad that he has gone.

I'm martin.

Yes the same person Derek Jenkins is sorely missed by me and many others. A genius on an LP 12 and knew he way round many other turntables, I used to watch him taking my Linn apart and rebuilding fascinating.

Regards,

Martin

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Depends to some extent on the arm and on the stylus profile, but I find that the bias required is usually only a fraction of the VTF. Spherical stylii require quite high bias, whereas those cartridges using a 'fine line stylus' need less.
    Imho this is complete the opposite! A spherical stylus has a very small contact area versus a more elaborate profile like fineline microridge or shibata. So the skating force which is a function of offset angle and friction is far greater with „sharper“ stylus profiles than spherical.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by martinjohn308 View Post
    Yes the same person Derek Jenkins is sorely missed by me and many others. A genius on an LP 12 and knew he way round many other turntables, I used to watch him taking my Linn apart and rebuilding fascinating.

Regards,

Martin
    He actually told me when he looked at my Linn that I had set it up very well.

I'm Kevin.

So, apart from a little lateral excitation at 7Hz, my Houdini equipped DL103 has flown through the test record. I only had to adjust the bias very slightly to remove some distortion on the bias setting track. So, was it worth the money? Not sure. It has confirmed that my deck is well set up.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    So, apart from a little lateral excitation at 7Hz, my Houdini equipped DL103 has flown through the test record. I only had to adjust the bias very slightly to remove some distortion on the bias setting track. So, was it worth the money? Not sure. It has confirmed that my deck is well set up.
    What's it like without the Harry?
    I thought you were doing a comparison ....
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 17-10-2020 at 23:08.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    What's it like without the Harry?
    I thought you were doing a comparison ....
    No idea, and I cannot be bothered to find out, being perfectly honest.
    My system sounds superb at the moment, in a way that digital does not really do, so I am too busy listening to music while the family are out for the day.

Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.
    It would be nice to hear the Tracy Chapman tune without the Harry, and with the deck set up properly this time.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast