+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8 ohm for 30 ohm swap

I'm Chris.

Default 8 ohm for 30 ohm swap

I have a two way speaker with 8 ohm mid and 8 ohm bass driver. If I then exchange the bass driver for a 30 ohm bass driver, will it be louder and an easier loud for my 2w triode amp. Appropriate changes will be made to component values in the low pass filter.
    Thanks
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Rob.

I would say that the power output would be roughly a quarter of that into 8ohms.

This may help.
    https://geoffthegreygeek.com/speaker...plifier-power/
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

What 8ohm bass driver so you currently have? It’s a very common impedance for a bass driver and there’s a plethora of drivers out there that may work as a replacement.

I'm Dennis.

Very much depends on the driver sensitivity. The quoted impedances are only nominal anyway, in reality they are all over the place. It will take less current (nominally 1/4 of previous), and so be an easier load form that point of view, and if it is more sensitive, you could have a win/win. Depends on driver design, magnets, gap, coil density in gap, weight of diaphragm.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    What 8ohm bass driver so you currently have? It’s a very common impedance for a bass driver and there’s a plethora of drivers out there that may work as a replacement.
    I have the Emminence Alphas and they are just too quiet compared to my Seas Exotic W8s
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm charles.

The output transformer will reflect that impedance back to the output valve according to its turns ratio and it will not perform as intended.

What 30 ohm drivers do you have and at what sensitivity? I assume you have Emminence Alpha A's which are about 96dB. The only way to get power into a 30 ohm speaker would be to get Jack Elliano at Electraprint to custom wind you a pair of new transformers.

+ Reply to Thread