+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Richer Sounds Repair

I'm Andrew.

Default Richer Sounds Repair

Has anyone used Richer Sounds for a repair? If so was the experience good? I have a broken Cambridge Audio 851E pre-amp and I am thinking of going back to the original seller because I am assuming they have knowledge of the brand and possible the model. For the curious, the amp died on switch on. I found a blown internal fuse which I replaced but on switching on there was life briefly before a small puff of smoke and the amp died again. This time, rather worryingly the fuses are intact. Thanks in advance, Andy.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Did you replace the internal fuse with one of an identical rupture rating and speed?
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Well....I thought I had Barry. T4AL 250v. It was a slow blow, I wish I had put a quick blow in now! but I just followed the markings. There is no sign of where the smoke came from, no burn damage. I wonder if there is another fuse hidden away somewhere? There is no sign of power in the unit, no standby light or display.

I'm John.

4A slow blow is a big fuse for a pre amp, just saying.

I'm Martin.

Take it to Richer Sounds, they are pretty good at helping out with these things.

I have used their repair service but it was in about 1989 so my experience is a bit out of date. No complaints though, they fixed the amp pretty quickly and it worked fine afterwards.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks John and Martin. Funnily enough it was bought as one of their repaired b stock type items. Perhaps the original fault has returned. Please feel free to wade in if you have used Richer Sounds.

I'm Mike.

i'd be surprised if Richer Sounds actually do any repairs themselves, more likely this work will be sub contracted out, i know for instance that anything that goes back to Samsung actually ends up at Martin Dawes as they do all the testing and repairs if they are possible, i may be wrong but it seems to be the way of things.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread