+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: DIY Equipment Rack Build

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Thanks mate. I've just had a peak at it now the first coat of oil's dried and I'm really happy with the finish.
    Quality... It'll defo look 'purposeful' when it's been populated!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

That looks great Darren, and easily 'shop bought' quality. Don't know how old you are, but come retirement time it could become a hobby that pays - I'm sure plenty of folk would happily pay good money for shelving made to that standard, myself included
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Quality... It'll defo look 'purposeful' when it's been populated!

Marco.
    I think so too. I've just given it a final coat of oil and applied the first coat of sealer to the now polished slate, it really is starting to look like the image I had in my head and I'm really looking forward to getting everything sited. The question of how it performs as a rack will then be answered...
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Weston View Post
    Looks great & when the slate goes on I think even better, wish I had your talents 👏
    Thank you Andy, I think so too, come the weekend we'll find out...
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That looks great Darren, and easily 'shop bought' quality. Don't know how old you are, but come retirement time it could become a hobby that pays - I'm sure plenty of folk would happily pay good money for shelving made to that standard, myself included
    Thank you for the very kind comments Steve. It's funny you mention making it a hobby that pays, that's sort of my intention.

I've just entered my forties, ten years ago my father died rather prematurely and before reaching retirement, at the time I had a pretty well paid, but otherwise unrewarding career in IT. When my father died I made a vow that I would never waste another day of my life doing something I didn't enjoy in the name of chasing paper I may never get the chance to kick back and enjoy. I was just finishing the renovation of my first house, which was a project that at times I'd regretted taking on (£££££), but I really enjoyed and excelled at. Some friends of mine had recently bought an Old Barn (https://www.caemadogbarn.co.uk/) which they were in the process of renovating and struggling to find good trades. They'd asked me to work on it, but I wanted to get my place finished off and didn't have the free time. When my father died, I said f@ck it, gave them a call and handed in my notice the following morning. For the next 8 years I went from job to job purely on referral and being very particular about the property and standard of work required (as Marco will attest). I wasn't making the same sort of money (and due to a relationship breakdown, lost the house I'd dedicated 5 years of my life to) but I was truly happy, I bounced out of bed in the morning and couldn't wait to get to work!

Just over 2 years ago, I had all my eggs in one basket and the rug was pulled out from under me. I was about to take on the biggest job of my building career, which being in a historic and prosperous area of Wrexham would really have launched my business. However, the client's situation changed dramatically overnight, the project was put on hold and still is. With few options and the wolf dangerously close to my door, I took a job with a national house builder. My heart wasn't in the work being quantity over quality, but having worked essentially on my own for 8 years it was nice to be part of a team again and also nice to have a regular pay cheque. Had it not been for Covid, I'd now be second in command on a 70+ plot development, but due to the uncertain future (and the fact that the company has a large portfolio in North Sea Oil) the project was mothballed. I'm jobbing again now, and due to making a number of contacts over the last couple of years, the majority of this is in the new build sector.

My plan for the last few years has been to buy some land out in the sticks with enough space to build a nice house and a nicer workshop, that I can use to financially support myself in a manner that's sustainable as the back gets weaker and the hair gets greyer. Due to my age, having had a somewhat colourful past and a wildly fluctuating income, buying the land outright is the only option really available to me. I'm 2 years of saving away from that, but I've been 2 years away for the last 4 years and in the current environment it's impossible to say when I'll return to an income that affords me that kind of disposable income. None the less that is the plan/dream I'm working towards.

It was my fathers death that got me into this hobby too. One of the few things I got from my fathers estate (he immigrated to New Zealand and started a new life with his second wife) was a mix tape he'd made which was a road trip favourite when we were kids. My brother and I set out to create a digital version which is when we found out, i, it contained 12" Singles, ii, what 12" Singles were! We started buying turntables and after graduating to a Technics 1210 I ended up here. Funny how one moment can change the course of your life.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm Jonathan.

What a story. You deserve money, happiness and more. And a great sound system!

I took an enforced early retirement from an IT role 5 years ago and moved to Wales. I hope you find what you need in this country.

I love getting my ‘hands dirty’ but not the confidence to try the big stuff. However working with wood is very rewarding.

I'm Darren.

Thanks Jonathan. I've lived in Wales since I was 5. My parents moved from Windsor to sleepy Mid Wales and I used to hate it, especially after trips to visit family in the Old Country. I left when I went to University and swore I'd never return! Family matters brought me back 4 years later, I left again, then work brought me to Wrexham with some resentment. It was only when I got back in Mountain Biking a few years ago that I realised how much I feel at home in the Welsh Countryside.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    For the next 8 years I went from job to job purely on referral and being very particular about the property and standard of work required (as Marco will attest)...
    Indeed, lol... The man's a perfectionist. Same attitude as me, when it comes to the things I'm good at (contrary to common belief, there is a few), although woodwork isn't one, in that you either do a job RIGHT or not at all! 'Bodges' simply don't exist in our vocabulary...

Aside from that mate, nice synopsis of your life's adventures, some of which I was unaware of. Aye, there's only one Dazza....thank fuck!

Only kidding... If only there were more folks like you (and Luke) populating this earth, it would be a better place. Oh, and more cats. You can never have too many pussies with attitude in your life

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

That is a very interesting autobiography Darren, showing some of your trials and tribulations.

You seem much more willing than I to take risks, but I have spent much of my adult life trying to overcome the imprinted insecurities resulting from my upbringing, the result of which was to seek security in large corporations, and with my greater understanding and reformed attitudes, I think they are dreadful.

There are real downsides; little scope for progression because of politics, never really being given the chance to see how well one can do, and IME the resentment of those who callously just 'try to get by'.

Because of self doubt it has only been at the age of 54 that I had the confidence to even try to seriously work at speaker design, and after this the result was praised by an industry professional who said he could sell it for £4k.

I also love to do things as well as possible, and this does cause some to react negatively for a variety of reasons. girl friends say it is obsessive, and people say that it is irrelevant to do so, when in fact much of it does contribute directly to a better product.

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, lol... The man's a perfectionist. Same attitude as me, when it comes to the things I'm good at (contrary to common belief, there is a few), although woodwork isn't one, in that you either do a job RIGHT or not at all! 'Bodges' simply don't exist in our vocabulary...

Aside from that mate, nice synopsis of your life's adventures, some of which I was unaware of. Aye, there's only one Dazza....thank fuck!

Only kidding... If only there were more folks like you (and Luke) populating this earth, it would be a better place. Oh, and more cats. You can never have too many pussies with attitude in your life

Marco.
    Many would agree with you, including Luke, who, for those that don't know me, is the aforementioned brother I began this audio adventure with.

I think it's our shared attitude that if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing properly and the fact that we're not afraid to fly in the face of convention, that's kept our friendship alive all these years
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast