+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current FM Tuners

I'm Phil.

still use our denon 260 tu mark 2 everyday , peanuts s/h . radiotext so i know whats playing . brilliant
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Laurie.

The magnum aerial if sited well with good co ax is a good start, used lots of tuners old and new, the musical fidelity one with dab and fm is a cracker, the Cyrus dab fm tuner is cheap and surprisingly good, both With benefit of digital output. For fm only Accuphase are king unless you find a rare trio Or Marantz from radios glory years [1970s] there are warehouses of good stuff for tea money.
    My last magnum 106t was sublime, on live bbc broadcasts it was jaw dropping good, play for the day became gripping and immersive, it was good but you can get close ish for a fraction of its cost. Problem is older models usually need a good service by someone skilled at a now redundant technology.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    The magnum aerial if sited well with good co ax is a good start, used lots of tuners old and new, the musical fidelity one with dab and fm is a cracker, the Cyrus dab fm tuner is cheap and surprisingly good, both With benefit of digital output. For fm only Accuphase are king unless you find a rare trio Or Marantz from radios glory years [1970s] there are warehouses of good stuff for tea money.
    My last magnum 106t was sublime, on live bbc broadcasts it was jaw dropping good, play for the day became gripping and immersive, it was good but you can get close ish for a fraction of its cost. Problem is older models usually need a good service by someone skilled at a now redundant technology.
    Especially true of the Marantz 10B tuner, which had an absurd selectivity and could drift out of specification in a few months.

I love listening to the BBC Proms, and BBC plays through my Quad FM4 tuner. As you say, Magnum Dyna are probably at the top of the tree where tuners are concerned, but sadly the standards of FM broadcasting have generally fallen badly in the last 15 years or so (and the BBC are the worse offenders: once their quality set the world standard, but no longer )
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Geoff
    I would recommend the Marantz ST6000 which is a LW/AM /FM digital tuner, the sound quality is excellent, and it features two antenna connections, switchable from
    the front panel, as well as narrow wide IF for FM. As for DAB Marantz also do a DAB tuner with the same styling, But the ST6000, particularly if you enjoy FM radio is the one to get
    for sound quality IMO
    I bought one 15 years ago for £30, it is good, but not as good as some others, very good value though, and has a calibrated to the dB signal strength meter, which I use when revamping the aerial, it being in the loft..

"but sadly the standards of FM broadcasting have generally fallen badly in the last 15 years or so (and the BBC are the worse offenders: once their quality set the world standard, but no longer )"

Absolutely Barry, they are a disgrace to the world, they used to set the world standards. On R4 I think they often use the lavalier mics under the chin. The quality dropping started in the late 70s, and my reference is listening on what was in '72 on the best BBC monitors, in the control room and studios a 'glass' away from the announcers; it bears no comparison, and the speakers are often not articulate.
    Last edited by Pharos; 09-10-2020 at 22:46.

I'm Martin.

The FM4 is used both for its fine SQ and convenience. Talking of which: how can you store more than one station to each preset button of the FM4, and how do you select them?

Quad offered me this module which was inexpensive when they serviced/repaired my FM4.
    To install presets do it in the normal way but press a second time to preset next station.
    To access press preset button a second time

That being said I rarely use more than 3 stations
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Laurie.

Out of curiosity Just dug out my Cyrus fmx with psx power, radio 2 playing usual crap but sounded way better than internet or dab. Luckily I live with sight of the Iow transmitter so my magnum whip Ariel is more than adequate.
    Such a shame a couple of small french jazz stations make bbc signal sound broke, I’ve heard suggestions they have been deliberately screwing up quality to force use of dab, stupid when signal starts digital and is converted to analogue [fm] for broadcast.
    And dab still costs many times more to transmit than fm, not eco friendly, and I do wonder if this constant sea of microwave energy in the ether is slowly cooking us all!
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm Dennis.

Paul Gambacini I take it. Often his 2 hour progs are to me rather distorted, and it was today really getting on my nerves.

Nearly bought a whip aerial, but I live on the seafront and wonder how it would survive, however it is omni-directional and would allow French stuff.

I really wouldn't put it past the BBC to do as you have said, they've been pushing hard for DAB for ages. I've just come across an ad. I placed to sell a tuner in '05, and I posted;

"the quality of DAB is not as good (mp2 codec compression and low bit rate, and the EEC, (particularly the German Government), is not happy with the anticipated switch-off." I also remember that another DAB standard has been developed, so the one being pushed is obsolete.

With regard to us being cooked, think about how many devices are transmitting, numerous frequencies, and zillions of small output devices, but. . . ., all those waveforms will add and subtract to produce peaks of electric field strength, the statement that the signals are all weak is not accounting for constructive interference.

I'm Martin.

They've been threatening to switch off FM for twenty years now.

FM is limited to 15Khz and 50dB of dynamic range, are the DAB codecs really worse than that? I'd be surprised.

Of course there's no static at all...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Out of curiosity Just dug out my Cyrus fmx with psx power, radio 2 playing usual crap but sounded way better than internet or dab. Luckily I live with sight of the Iow transmitter so my magnum whip Ariel is more than adequate.
    Such a shame a couple of small french jazz stations make bbc signal sound broke, I’ve heard suggestions they have been deliberately screwing up quality to force use of dab, stupid when signal starts digital and is converted to analogue [fm] for broadcast.
    And dab still costs many times more to transmit than fm, not eco friendly, and I do wonder if this constant sea of microwave energy in the ether is slowly cooking us all!
    yes i had a fmx with a psxr , it really was good . glad you still have yours
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast