+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current FM Tuners

I'm Geoffrey.

Default Current FM Tuners

Hi,

The range of FM tuners available now is pretty small (and not de rigeur with streaming often seen as better quality), but I do like to listen to FM (particularly Radio 3), and I wonder what experience any of you have of current / modern FM tuners. I have a Rotel 950BX that I am very pleased with. However, if a more modern unit gave a similar FM performance (and DAB for non muscial listening. e.g. sport) then I may be tempted.

Any views?

Thanks,
    Geoff

I'm Dennis.

There are some extremely good old tuners, made when FM was in its heyday, and their sound and specs are very difficult to beat, if at all. I have just bought an Accuphase T-107, (£440), and it is wonderful, very comparable with the latest offering from Accuphase (T-1100) which I saw today listed at $2300. There are many competent ones out there, and a cite which evaluates many called Tuner info, or something similar.

I'm Geoffrey.

Thanks Dennis,

It looks as though you netted a 'goodun'. Accuphase are certainly highly regarded.
    Yes, I've looked at the Tuner Information Centre, and it has certainly informed my views. I'll keep looking.

Regards,
    Geoff

I'm Chris.

Hi Geoff
    I would recommend the Marantz ST6000 which is a LW/AM /FM digital tuner, the sound quality is excellent, and it features two antenna connections, switchable from
    the front panel, as well as narrow wide IF for FM. As for DAB Marantz also do a DAB tuner with the same styling, But the ST6000, particularly if you enjoy FM radio is the one to get
    for sound quality IMO

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    There are some extremely good old tuners, made when FM was in its heyday, and their sound and specs are very difficult to beat, if at all. I have just bought an Accuphase T-107, (£440), and it is wonderful, very comparable with the latest offering from Accuphase (T-1100) which I saw today listed at $2300. There are many competent ones out there, and a cite which evaluates many called Tuner info, or something similar.
    I would recommend an Hitachi FT5500 MK2 (not MK1), if you read reviews they were/are considered giant killer and great VFM, hard to find, I got one from Germany on ebay for an excellent price though. It very natural produces good bass, excellent on vocals IMO.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

I have had tuners from Naim, Magnum Dynalab and now Quad FM4.
    The FM4 was serviced and upgraded by Quad to allow 2 presets on each preset button.
    Don;t forget the secret of a good tuner is a good aerial
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    I have had tuners from Naim, Magnum Dynalab and now Quad FM4.
    The FM4 was serviced and upgraded by Quad to allow 2 presets on each preset button.
    Don't forget the secret of a good tuner is a good aerial
    I would concur, I use a Quad FM4 with a roof-mounted three element Yagi aerial. It can pick up a dozen or more stations, though I tend to listen to only three of them.

I have tuners from Cambridge (T55); B&O (1700); Leak ('Troughline' III (stereo)) as well as Quad FM2 and FM3. With the exception of the Leak tuner, they are all very good.

The FM4 is used both for its fine SQ and convenience. Talking of which: how can you store more than one station to each preset button of the FM4, and how do you select them?

But to answer the Geoffrey's question: all the suggested tuners are good, especially ones made by up-market Japanese companies Luxman and Accuphase. Trio and Sansui also made some good tuners, as did Revox. Whatever you choose, you really do need a good roof top aerial to get the best out of any tuner: it is pointless spending a lot on a tuner if you don't give it the best signal.
    Barry

I'm Geoffrey.

Thanks for the various suggestions, and the point about having a good aerial.

I don't have an outside aerial, and I use the (sometimes crticised) Magnum Dynalab ST-2. I'm getting 5 bars of signal on my tuner, so, presumably, a good signal. The only problem that I have (as mentioned on previous threads) if RFI (I think) from my computer. I get a background 'mush' (white noise) when it is on, but this disappears with the computer off, and I get a really clean sound. I need to try re-positioning things to see if this can be improved.

Geoff

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Used to have an Accuphase T-101, which was superb. Still regret selling it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Justin.

I went through tuners from various different decades, and got rid of them all to end up with a 1963 Scott 350 valve tuner.

Technically not great, coloured sonically - definitely, but by far the easiest and most enjoyable to listen to.

Voices through make you literally melt they sound so bloody lovely.

A real treat for the ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast