+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some guidance please

I'm Steve.

All your comments have made me realize just how little I really know or understand. Example. pros/cons of Moving Magnet versus Moving Coil, Tube amp versus otherwise. Need to do some homework so I can at least understand the basics.

Anyway, I've had a blast for the last hour or so just looking at for sale ads on the Canuk Audio Mart site. Hasn't helped me narrow things down......but been fun.

I'm probably pretty limited finding used locally as main population bases outside of Winnipeg where majority of components for sale are at a distance. Toronto or Montreal is 28 hours non stop drive, Vancouver same.........good thing is I have buddies in all of these locations so maybe a road trip is in the works (once Covid allows us to travel)

Only other comment is this has made me realize that I should probably avoid systems that require a large amount of technical set up (tuning of components etc)....because I really don't know what I'm doing.

On a plus side, I have a best buddy who's built my last 6 computers. He said building a NAS drive and your rasperry Pi comment.....would not be difficult at all. ( he said just get my wallet out)

Thanks again.....Steven

I'm matt.

Please keep us updated. I'm sure I'm not the only here who'll be interested to hear how you get on. I quite enjoy the "I've got a big chunk of cash to spend on hifi" threads

I'm Adrian.

Hi Steve, none of what I suggested is particularly tricky to set up, the turntables are particularly straight forward, setting up is part of the fun anyway. The RPI/DAC and NAS will be a great and cheap entry point for digital.

I agree with what several on hear have said, speaker are a good starting point, part of the reason I was pushing the better speakers. I learnt the hard way and ended up going through 6 pairs, two of which I could have lived with, but stupidly thought is was an amp issue , so after swapping amps I found out that nothing had changed much, the issue I had was the speakers.

Keep us posted, have fun and good luck.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Patrick.

Given...
    Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post
    Only other comment is this has made me realize that I should probably avoid systems that require a large amount of technical set up (tuning of components etc)....because I really don't know what I'm doing.
    I would avoid Tubes and MC phono for the moment. Keep it simple.
    Example. pros/cons of Moving Magnet versus Moving Coil, Tube amp versus otherwise.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I would also advise avoiding MC cartridges for the moment; it is much easier to find a good quality fixed-coil cartridge for a reasonable price than it is for a MC cartridge.

I would also suggest that you look for a used Bryston (integrated) amplifier. They are made in Canada, are very well made (Bryston offer a 10 year warrantee, so they must be confident of the build quality), as well as having a fine sound quality.

Would not like to recommend you any speakers, as they are very much a subjective choice; but would agree the speakers are the first thing you should choose.

Good luck in your search - let us know how you progress.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Thanks again. I'm starting to eat and sleep this stuff. In between meetings today I've been reading on belt versus direct drive turntables and a review on the Technics SL 1210 Direct Drive turntable. I agree with many of the comments re importance of speakers....it comes down to just how much do I want to allocate to each component.....and do I want to up my budget. (my practical side is saying No No No.....but this little voice keeps poking me......go for it. LOL) Now if work would just stop getting in the way.

I'm Edward.

If I was living in Canada and had that sort of budget the speakers that would be at the top of my list is anything made by Reference 3A.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Dennis.

Thanks again. I'm starting to eat and sleep this stuff. In between meetings today I've been reading on belt versus direct drive turntables and a review on the Technics SL 1210 Direct Drive turntable. I agree with many of the comments re importance of speakers....it comes down to just how much do I want to allocate to each component.....and do I want to up my budget. (my practical side is saying No No No.....but this little voice keeps poking me......go for it. LOL) Now if work would just stop getting in the way.
    I am forming the view that the only way to do anything really is to 'eat and sleep' it. Also I am thinking that there are two general types in the world; those who just get by, and those with deep conviction and follow up energy like Lawrence Dickie, and Oskar Heil. The pursuit of excellence is their life.

I reckon you should stifle that impulsive tendency which we may all have, and let your learning and subconscious mind do some absorbing processing and sorting.

I'm Lloyd.

I'm going to add to those who suggest speakers first

Do consider Tannoys the HPDs should be a liitle less than Monitor golds ...i have to declare an interest here as i have a pair of 1976 Berkeleys which are terrific low level or loud as you dare ...alternatively Klipsch are great too ...i have some Klipsch Quartets from 1992 ...and some 1978 Infinity Quantum Jrs (harder to drive at 4 ohms) ...all of these aquired in the last 4 years so as you can see "Vintage" gets more for your money ...after speakers i'd say next is a TT mine is newish 3 years old i managed to get it 2nd hand at about 1/3rd of retail, as its Italian Atmo Sfera ....rather different but great sounding with an Ortofon MC cartridge. As its from italy upon a recommendation i got a Pathos In the Groove Mk2 phono stage (2nd hand) and then a 2nd hand tube amp, by SAC of Thailand an EL34 Minute its Class A only 10wpc but drives all 3 sets of speakers really well although the Klipsch & Tannoys sing best of all..i've spent similar money to your budget in Pounds assembling all these ...and i know you want a couple of other components to but you don't need 3 sets of speakers !!!!... so i hope my rambling on has helped a bit ...bottom line vintage and or 2nd or 3rd hand can give great results and punch above its weight in terms of sound for pound..

I'm Steve.

Off topic: Chatting with my 86 year old mum about this site.....mentioned a bunch of you characters are all from the UK.....I'm meant to say hello. She grew up in Leamington spa near Warwick. Last I was there, I was 11....a half century ago.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast