Thread: Looking for some guidance please

I'm Steve.

Well I'm meant to be working but.......

Started playing vinyl

First

Currently

I'm Steve.

Stereo.jpg

Still figuring out how to use it........but very happy to have music playing again.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post
    Stereo.jpg

Still figuring out how to use it........but very happy to have music playing again.
    That looks great Steve, nice to hear your enjoying your new system.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Ok so I'm already thinking.....what next.

I'm going to pick up an I-pad with some hard drive space so I can play my flac files....with intention of eventually getting a NAS drive (reading up on the Melco) to house all the tunes I've amassed. I was planning on buying into a streaming service but I'm not sure any more. ( I get 3 months free Tidal with this Moon purchase) I have so much music on my computer I don't think it's necessary.

Anyway......my next question is not related to this. I've been reading up on external phono stages and their benefits over the stages contained within an integrated amp for example. Been reading quite a bit on the Graham Sleeman Era Gold.
    Would that make sense as a next step? (not necessarily the Sleeman but an external phono stage?) My thought after that might be to get a better cartridge.

Saying all this........it all sounds fantastic to me now......but the addiction is in full swing. LOL

One final comment. I had prior mentioned I picked up some speaker cables from Blue Jeans Cable out of Seattle Washington.....much cheaper than the Audioquest Rocket 33's I bought when I discovered one of the original cable banana clips was broken. I emailed the company with a pic of the clip. Was emailed back yesterday........and today I received a replacement 10 foot speaker cable with ends. (from Seattle Washington)

I remember back in med school being told that someone happy with your service would tell 3 others.........someone unhappy would tell 10 others. So always do your best. I've never forgotten that. There is probably little benefit of this company to you folks on the other side of the Atlantic to me.......but regardless I'm totally impressed with the service received here. They sent a $20 cable today (spending $20 in shipping) I will definitely go back and look at using their service again.

I'm Martin.

They have a good reputation for service and value for money over here too.

Good to see you are enjoying the new set-up.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Hey Folks and Happy New Years.

Just checking in. My New Years present so far has been an ongoing episode of vertigo. Had a nasty fall on the ice a few weeks back and blew my knee out and then New Years morning......got up outta bed........and promptly fell into the closet. LOL Never had this before. Been to the Chiro yesterday and much improved today but still like walking on a boat.

Not much new on my end...been working pretty well 7 days a week for quite some time now. I don't have it yet, but I purchased a 2 year old Audia Flight phono stage off an acquaintance who had upgraded. Excited none the less.

Hope all are well
    Steven
    Current Set up:
    *Rega P6 * audia flight phono preamp * Audiolab 6000CDT * Moon Neo Ace * B&W 702 S2*

How much deeper would oceans be if sponges didn’t live there?

I'm Dennis.

I empathise about the health problems, but I realise that as we age it is like walking on a mountain ridge which narrows to an increasingly sharp edge, so much less room for error.

Of course in the UK ice is relatively rare, and when it happens our skills are not up to the challenge.

The Covid has served to be, analogous to a dental disclosing agent for plaque, a revealer of the inherent flaky mental health of many who seem to be on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

I'm Steve.

Hey folks...checking in as it's been a while.....and of course I have a question.

It is brutally cold here today....with the wind it is -40C (-30 without)....either way, I am not venturing outside more than I have to.

So just because I seem to be always looking to what I should buy next LOL I was doing a little research on cartridges. I must be honest I've very little knowledge in this area and I have never replaced a cartridge....so this is all very new.

Right now I have the Rega RP6/exact 2 combo and I'm quite happy with it. I find it overall provides great sound but is also forgiving on some of my albums that when I was younger and more foolish were played extensively.....and not handled with much care in mind. (I'm still creating a list of a few that I will need to replace...just too many cracks and pops)

So a few weeks back I upgraded my phono preamp from what is contained within my MOON Ace Amp.....to an Audia Flight that a buddy was selling. I was pleasantly surprised at how big a difference it made....especially with the lower base levels which I found were on the light side (I was thinking it was more my room) With the addition....and a good quality album.....the difference is striking.

So now I have a phono stage that will handle MM and MC......and thinking about upgrading the cartridge. From scanning suggestions on various chat lines. Ania, Apheta 3, Dynavector Karat 17D3 seem to be the most common recommendations.......but with a few caveats. Some comments have suggested they didn't sound as good....maybe because of the phono stage.........others have suggested have pointed at the P6 commenting on marked difference with the Ania when used with a P8 instead.

So my thoughts here are:

1. First, I am quite happy with what I have....so am in no rush to make changes....but saying that...I know I will upgrade....this audiophile "addiction" has me hook, line, and sinker ( if that is a recognized term outside Canada)

2. I can't see there being any concerns with the phono preamp. I am more of the opinion that I may need to bring other components up to it's level.

3. which leaves the TT and/cartridge....and I guess my question. I am assuming it is all about finding a good match. A super high quality cartridge could sound crappy if matched with the wrong TT ...and visa versa. (and I guess matching to the amp as well) So is there a benefit to spending for an apheta 3 cartridge on the RP6. THis is what my buddy has on his RP10 (he's now looking at Oracle)

I am leaning towards the Ania because it is Rega to Rega and I am assuming installation will be fairly straight forward. It gives me opportunity to listen to a MC versus MM (I really don't know what the difference might be at this stage).........and I'm pretty sure within a year or two.....I'll upgrade to an RP10......which would come also with a further upgraded cartridge.

Am I getting overly picky here? It's funny and hard to explain to my friends as they do not have the same level of passion I do here. They all think I'm already nuts for spending what I have. LOL I figure most of you understand having been there for a while now. :0)

Ok one more Geographic based question. I am having one heck of a time finding vinyl for a few UK based bands that I really like. Wondering if it is also difficult over there......or if this is more just a N. America issue. I have digital versions of these but I'd really like some in vinyl. Shpongle, Ott (which nobody over here seems to have ever heard of).....and I recently discovered Porcupine Tree and am totally into their early stuff at the moment. I've found one album on Amazon I can buy on vinyl. I'm pretty sure I've seen some past pics here of album covers on that "what are you currently playing" thread. Are these bands relatively available as vinyl in the UK???

I may just have to fly over. LOL Actually, another buddy and I are looking at next November/December if we can get Genesis tickets........and it appears Rick Wakeman has a bunch of dates around the same time. (assuming Covid lets us travel)
    Current Set up:
    *Rega P6 * audia flight phono preamp * Audiolab 6000CDT * Moon Neo Ace * B&W 702 S2*

I'm Steve.

Hey folks. Hope everyone is safe and healthy. Our cold snap has finally broken - 18 C today.......which my elderly mum still thinks is far too cold. It's funny how -18 can feel down right warm when you've had a couple weeks of -30.
    Sunday is meant to be +6C WOW

Opened my front door today to see a package sitting there.....from a friend I went to med school with some 30 years ago. Opened it and it was 3 albums plus the concert booklet from us going to see Paul McCartney in Toronto (1990 I believe) Albums were an unplugged Mcartney album plus another of his that was released in Russia....plus the original Star Wars album. Anyway.........totally blew my away. I have not seen him in 20 years....we talk periodically but that's about it. Back in our Toronto school days we regularly rode our bikes around on Saturdays and hit the garage sales.......me for records....him for other stuff. It was lots of fun.

Anyway........totally blew me away.
    I ordered a Degritter. Talk about tough to get but finally got confirmation that my name is on one of two coming to Vancouver....then to be shipped to Wpg. Can't wait.

Steven
    Current Set up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post
    Opened my front door today to see a package sitting there.....from a friend I went to med school with some 30 years ago. Opened it and it was 3 albums plus the concert booklet from us going to see Paul McCartney in Toronto (1990 I believe) Albums were an unplugged Mcartney album plus another of his that was released in Russia....plus the original Star Wars album. Anyway.........totally blew my away. I have not seen him in 20 years....we talk periodically but that's about it. Back in our Toronto school days we regularly rode our bikes around on Saturdays and hit the garage sales.......me for records....him for other stuff. It was lots of fun.

Anyway........totally blew me away.

Steven
    Ah, Steven, makes me feel warm and fuzzy... even by Canadian standards that is one very nice man. So thoughtful. You need to get your friendship going again, because y'know, life is short
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast