+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some guidance please

I'm Steve.

Your discussion on cables and sound quality reminded me of something else. When I went to listen to the B&W 702's they had it hooked up thru a streamer and Tidal. I had them play quite a variety from Rock to Blues to Classical......then my friend with the really nice kit showed up with some vinyl Randy Bachman album and Bob Marley.

I was totally impressed with the sound of the speakers when played thru the streamer.......but the vinyl.......I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly but it was richer.....there was more depth. They both sounded fantastic but I was totally sold with the vinyl. Not sure I described that quite right but it had quite an impact.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    You are not wrong. Please do not be suckered in by audiophile cables. There is no such thing. Really there isn't.
    Your personal opinion of course. There are a helluva lot of people out there who also believe in God.

I'm Adrian.

Hi Steve

Please to hear you are getting there with a system, you have selected a good combo I think.

If you have not already decided on speaker cables then these would be worth considering. As others have said cables are an emotive subject. They can and do make a difference, but spending large amounts is not necessary to get a good result, although there are certain things to be aware of with certain types of cable. Have a watch of this he talks a lot of sense https://youtu.be/Dtb88_hbCFQ , there is one on speaker cable which does explain some of the theory on this area but with some practical and sensible advise. By the way as others have said HiFi Cables, whether loudspeaker or interconnects is the proverbial can of worms.

These are worth considering and there are lots of articles on the NET about them https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...insulated.html, you just make up loosely twisted pairs, making sure you mark the + and - correctly so you connect them correctly. You can by some decent loudspeaker plugs like this https://www.ebay.ca/itm/8pcs-Nakamic...IAAOSwB8tbnet- or https://www.ebay.ca/itm/8pcs-Nakamic...YAAOSwXfhe~pcL, I would shrink wrap them for safety. Alternatively QED 79 strand or QED REFERENCE XT25 is a very good starting point.

Also if you are reasonably ok with as soldering iron and have a meter then this for interconnects is very good, https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/belde...cable-for-diy/, just buy some reasonable RCA plugs for CA$10-15 for set of 4 off Ebay for set of 4, again lots of articles how to make up, you will also need some shrink wrap. for the cable ends at RCA's

For isolation I have found these and am using under my speakers to isolate them and work very well https://www.amazon.ca/Hudson-Hi-Fi-B...5004880&sr=8-3

Hudson also do various others for under amps, turntables etc.for your turntable you might want to consider https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/aptitli...mboo-00233429/, you can laquer it black if you want, then place it on some Hudson's and put the turntable on top.

https://www.hudsonhifi.com

If you want to make a rack for your equipment on a budget, then https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/lack-si...lack-20011408/. I saw that someone cut the legs down to the height they wanted for each shelf before assembly and filled edge leg with kiln dried sand for weight, and then fitted something like this to the bottom of each leg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Speak...gAAOSw4yJdLf0P and fixed the protectors with blu-tack to the top of each shelf or floor. You still should use the Hudsons or similar under the hifi components as well to get the best benefit.

I hope the above helps, don't be put of that it is not costing an arm and a leg, you will effectively be doing what most isolation platforms do but can cost many CA$.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Your personal opinion of course. There are a helluva lot of people out there who also believe in God.
    indeed ... at least 80-90 % of folks in my area would believe in God !!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Dennis.

There is much beyond our understanding, and mankind has created God in an attempt to explain things.

All the best cables were sent to us in a plague of cables reigning on virgins, perhaps in the mists of the upper peaks of the Himalayas.

I'm Geoff.

Apparently we can just use bell wire. All that money saved can go towards Shakti Stones instead.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Apparently we can just use bell wire. All that money saved can go towards Shakti Stones instead.
    I have these strategically placed around the room and hifi, and they work wonderfully disrupting RF, EMF, and all sorts of other interference.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

I could only justify buying two of those. They have an amazing effect on my wallet though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

gather up the dust too the wife had several in her bedroom.. cut down on my high dusting tho.. just clean the catchers twice a year
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Besides all the good info/advice provided, you folks are very entertaining with the comments and subtle "pokes". Quite enjoy the banter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast