+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some guidance please

I'm Martin.

What TT and amp did you get?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Rega Planar 6 and Simaudio Moon 240i integrated (floor model and used respectively)

I'm Martin.

Solid choices. With them plus the B&Ws it should all sound fantastic.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post
    Can I ask a question on cables/connections.

I realize again the sky is the limit in terms of what you can purchase.
    You are not wrong. Please do not be suckered in by audiophile cables. There is no such thing. Really there isn't.
    There have been numerous tests performed in scientific double blind environments. In every test, nobody can tell the difference between "bell wire" and so called "high end" cables. It is just a marketing con job to get your money. There are scientific explanations for this. Perfect audio cables are a myth. Mostly put out by those who bought into this nonsense.
    Sources:
    Turntable - Rega P2 (Modified).
    Streamer - Cambridge Audio Azur 851N.
    Reel to Reel - Akai GX635D.
    NAS - Thecus N4200 Pro.

Amplification:
    Phono Pre - QUAD Twenty Four P.
    Pre Amp - QUAD QC - Twenty Four.
    Power Amps - 2 x QUAD 11 Forty mono blocks.
    Headphone Amp - QUAD PA - One.

Rack:
    Blok Stax 400 and Blok Stax 300

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm expecting some interesting replies to that one Stephen.

Barry

I'm Stephen.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm expecting some interesting replies to that one Stephen.

As am I. I'm looking forward to the responses. I have the unequivocal research to hand. It's basic physics.
    Let the good times role. lol.

After all. I'm sure we all want reality. Not just what we "want" to be true. The same goes for gold plated mains plugs, Ha haha.
    Last edited by KnuckleDragger; 09-11-2020 at 00:11. Reason: Clarity
    Sources:
    Turntable - Rega P2 (Modified).
    Streamer - Cambridge Audio Azur 851N.
    Reel to Reel - Akai GX635D.
    NAS - Thecus N4200 Pro.

Amplification:
    Phono Pre - QUAD Twenty Four P.
    Pre Amp - QUAD QC - Twenty Four.
    Power Amps - 2 x QUAD 11 Forty mono blocks.
    Headphone Amp - QUAD PA - One.

Rack:
    Blok Stax 400 and Blok Stax 300

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    You are not wrong. Please do not be suckered in by audiophile cables. There is no such thing. Really there isn't.
    There have been numerous tests performed in scientific double blind environments. In every test, nobody can tell the difference between "bell wire" and so called "high end" cables. It is just a marketing con job to get your money. There are scientific explanations for this. Perfect audio cables are a myth. Mostly put out by those who bought into this nonsense.
    Yes quite correct, science, not marketing rules entirely with cables. We live in environments particularly where cables can and may act as antenna, which at worst adds additional unwanted content to be amplified.

Whilst a conductor end to end can be measured for resistance loss, there are small reactances within cable construction that detract from a music AC signal being the same as it is at the source component.
    Given the majority of test equipment relies on showing sine waves, music contains, much more complexity, inferring we may presently only be at the tip of the iceberg so to speak, as to understanding the
    all of the science, but lets be thankful there are good solid scientific principles with cable construction to put to our advantage.

The answer instead of wrongly driving cables toward always lower potentials and just hoping for a result, is to arrange current drive. That is the load instead of being eventually grounded, instead returns as signal to be compared with,and used to ensure it is ideally the same as the source. Where cables also are conductors when current drive is used, the properties of the cable itself stands a chance of also being corrected. https://www.current-drive.info/

Any signal using a conductor can be preserved , by using shielding, the science of shielding is usually one of two types, either twisted pair, or coaxial, this becomes more important where voltage levels are lower.
    or where the cable is used in environments that are using many conflicting areas of the electromagnetic spectrum.

One has to simply extract certain attributes of science, to usually arrive at a good cable. As example the science of transmission lines usually suggested only applying at radio frequencies, is seen here
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...speaker-hookup being entirely useful at audio frequencies too.

I'm Geoff.

Never mind what 'scientific tests' imply. Listening to the effects of cables on the sound easily shows that some are inferior. This is clearly audible, not imaginary.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

James Randi had to abandon his million quid challenge when it was pointed out to him that you could buy speaker cables that did actually change the sound.

But paying big money for speaker cable is a fools errand. Much more effective to spend it on better speakers and amps. Or a better TT, cartridge or phono stage if using vinyl.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Well an interesting discussion and I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject. In the end I purchased 2 8 foot lengths of 10 AWG Speaker Cable, Terminated. Somewhere in my readings (or might have been one of you folks) it was mentioned to check out Blue Jeans Cables out of Seattle Washington which is where I ordered these. Cost me $80 US. What was interesting was I ordered them last Thursday evening and Friday morning they were delivered at my door by FedEx. Seattle is a few thousand kms away.......talk about fast.
    So I'll see how these are.....they look good for what little I know.

Now to continue to stir up debates here.........what about power conditioners.

I ordered thru Amazon Furman PL-Pro DMC 15 Amp Power Conditioner......my main reason being I want a surge protector. Had a lightening strike nearby a couple years ago that fried a tv and to the horror of my son.....his Xbox. I still don't quite understand how it can "clean" up the sound. Anyway it was $400 Canadian (what's that about 300 pounds)

Now I'm reading on anti vibration which I am finding quite fascinating. Especially home made remedies. One article talked about using a partially inflated bicycle tire under a butcher block cutting board. Anyway I'm having fun.........while I continue to "impatiently" wait for my speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast