+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some guidance please

I'm Steve.

Default Looking for some guidance please

Further to my hello in the welcome session, after almost 30 years of looking at my record collection without having a system to play it on....I'm looking to take the plunge and would very much appreciate any guidance/suggestions you care to give.

In Canadian Funds I have allocated $8-10,000.

I am by no means an expert in the audiophile field......quite the opposite really....so I've relied pretty heavily on reviews/best ratings/opinions of others on the assumption they know a heck of a lot more than I do....and then used that to do my own further DD.

Initially I was only thinking about a system so that I could play my albums again.

I was leaning towards:

Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 turntable
    Rega Elex-R amp,
    and either Dali Oberon 5 or Q Acoustics 3050i floor standers

I have had some difficulty identifying Canadian locations to purchase the above (specifically Q Acoustics)

I have a few hundred CD's and over 6 terabytes of music (Flac) on external hard drives so now I`m thinking that while I still really want a nice system for my albums (definitely vinyl will always be my preference)......having access especially to my digital catalogue and I guess access to high quality music streaming services would make sense too.

So I am now looking to buy a system that would serve both.

Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 turntable
    Cambridge Audio CXA81 Amp ( if I understand correctly this would help serve the digital aspect, but I believe I would need a pre amp for the phono)
    Rega Fono MM MK3
    and again...and either Dali Oberon 5 or Q Acoustics 3050i floor standers

If my math is correct.....this would be a few grand under max budget. Doesn`t address a CD player and I honestly have no clue just what I need to be able to play Flac files from a hard drive or bluetooth or use a streaming service.

Speaker wise I picked floor standers mainly because I always thought they look impressive....versus stand mounts

There were lots of comments in my reading about the importance of pairing your equipment appropriately. Not exactly sure how you go about doing that.....so choices made above reflected opinions of others that felt components worked well together.

As mentioned, I have quite a variety of musical tastes. For the most part all I really want is a system that sounds good, that I can listen to probably more often at low to medium volumes.....but I can kick in to higher gear once in a while. (I have a tendency to crank Neil Young)

In terms of my location... My house is a 4 level split - quite open concept with 14 foot ceilings in the open areas. (both main floor and basement) Thinking of setting it up on the main floor but I just finished renovating the basement and installed shelving for my albums, all my old rock concert posters etc.....so it would look very cool down there too.

Hmmmmm....maybe I need to buy two systems LOL.

Anyway, I would sure appreciate some input here. Am I on a right track....way off base.....have no idea what I`m talking about........should just stick to my 8 track player.

Much appreciated Steven

I'm Chris.

Hi Steven
    I recall back in my initial hifi buying days... way back when. I soon moved from a nice Pioneer SX650 receiver powering AR16's to a Quad 405 power amp, and have stuck with
    separate preamp - power amp implementation ever since. Now very similarly some 45 years later I use 2x Quad 306 power amps as these give plenty of power into the
    variety of speakers i use. Presently enjoying a very nice pair of AR2ax

So I would suggest looking at a power amp that gives you flexibility to use passive preamps, accordingly you will need the sensitivity to be ideally 1v or less with
    the power amp you choose to use.

There are many dedicated phono stages that will do a fine job of providing RIAA equalization. Rega for instance make phono stages too: http://www.rega.co.uk/phono-stages.html

Hope that helps

I'm Dennis.

My immediate response is to recommend buying second hand equipment.

I've only rarely bought new, things like tape recorders which are maintenance heavy, cartridges, and one FM tuner because I could not get it second hand, and this is in 50 years+.

You will be in an effective position to be higher up the ranges, which allows consideration of better models, and most people really take care of their equipment.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    My immediate response is to recommend buying second hand equipment.

You will be in an effective position to be higher up the ranges, which allows consideration of better models, and most people really take care of their equipment.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Geoff.

As you are in Canada, you could look at the Totem range of speakers, they will be well supported there. Also, see Pro-Ject turntables, who compete directly with Rega.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

Small speakers sound small and usually sound flat at low volumes. Fashion is the only reason for small speakers (unless you listen near-field obviously).

I don't know what your budget will buy you in Canada, but the Quad 306 is a good suggestion (that's my daily amp). I think they are amazing value for money and work great with a cheap passive preamp. They are incredibly easy to service too.

For new speakers I'd be looking at Tannoy Legacy series, Klipsch Heritage series and Quad electrostatics. I don't know about the new Tannoy Legacy series, but I do know that Klipsch and Quad statics are known for sounding great at low volumes (watch the YouTube reviews). Old Tannoys are know for sounding great at low volume too (Gold, HPD and DMT).

Old Tannoy Golds, HPD and DMT can be good, but Golds and HPD can need work to bring them back up to spec. Big, old JBLs would also be on my shortlist (not sure about the low volume thing on these though). I would personally avoid all these modern, small, multi-driver speakers.

I'm Martin.

With a budget of approx £5800 GBP I'd be setting my sights a bit higher than the kit you have listed.

If vinyl is going to be your main source of listening I'd allocate most of the budget to deck, arm and phono stage. A Rega 3 is an adequate deck but IMO most sprung suspension decks are a good deal better - AR, Systemdek, Michell etc likewise most direct drives from Technics, Denon, Sony.

Don't underestimate the importance of the phono stage.

Recommending specific items is hard due to vastly varying tastes in presentation. I know it is hard right now with the whole virus thing but if you don't know what you want in terms of presentation there's no substitute for getting out there and listening to some systems, either at friends or at dealers, just to give you an idea.

Whatever deck you go for I'd recommend buying a used one, to get maximum return for the spend.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Oh and I wouldn't recommend Totem speakers, they are expensive for what you get and measured performance is poor.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I liked the Totems I've heard and don't care about measurements, users seem to like them too and they've been well reviewed.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

Just had quick look at Totem Stereophile measurements and some look fine but other look absolutely terrible. So I guess it depends on the model.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast