+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some guidance please

I'm Graham.

Hi Steven,
    As you are in North America, I think you will get much better vfm with Canadian or US kit.
    If you want old school without the risk, look at JBL classic L100 or L82 or the Klipsch Heritage range.
    But pick whatever speaker you like and build the system around it. Get an amp that brings out the speakers best and pick a front end to fine tune the sound you like.
    And most of all, take ur time and enjoy it

Ps just reread your first post, the JBL L100 can fill a big space and visually will fit in the rock poster theme.
    I own old4311s (which sound very similar)and they are awesome rock speakers that also sound good with all types of music

I'm Steve.

Thanks Graham I have purchased B&W 702 S2's I have a friend with the 800 series paired with MOON components that sounded wonderful. I've purchased the MOON ACE integrated amp/DAC/Streamer.....which unfortunately seems to have a bit of a glitch at the moment and looks like will need to be returned.

I have spent a fair bit of time of late trying to research what amps pair well with B&W's as eventually I'd like to get individual components. (short list so far Classe, Rotel, NAD, and Arcam....seem to be consistently recommended) (also been reading on other MOON components and Bryston)

But as you mention....and I agree.....going to take my time and enjoy.......assuming I get this system to actually play for me.
    I sure love the look of these B&W's.....hoping soon I'll also love the sound. LOL

I'm Dennis.

Brystn yes, good reputation and capable of driving low impedances I think, and B&W speakers can drop to low impedances.

I'm Steve.

Thanks folks......this really is an amazing little corner of the world you have here. Definitely disappointed at the moment but still having fun.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post
    Thanks Graham I have purchased B&W 702 S2's I

But as you mention....and I agree.....going to take my time and enjoy.......assuming I get this system to actually play for me.
    I sure love the look of these B&W's.....hoping soon I'll also love the sound. LOL
    Oops missed the b@w purchase sorry, However no shortage of high power/current amps in Canada.

In addition to ones mentioned, may be worth having a look at Belles and maybe even Rogue Audio.

I'm Steve.

Interesting you mentioned Rogue Audio........my first choice initially was the Rogue Sphinx....then got a deal here so switched. Still intrigues me.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post
    Thanks folks......this really is an amazing little corner of the world you have here. Definitely disappointed at the moment but still having fun.
    You don't know the half of it.

I'm Steve.

Hi Steven,

Nice speaker choice. This guy has a great and addictive YouTube hifi vinyl channel, he uses B&w speaker. Much food for thought in his equipment reviews (he buys his own stuff to review, thus avoiding manufacturer or dealer bias)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cexQ4DmeoM

I'm Steve.

Thanks Steve for the link

So a good chuckle for all you folks.

It appears my lesson in patience may become a lesson in humility.

I had to bring my Amp back because I could not get the power to stay on. Main power switch in the back and then another in the front. I tried everything (double checking my connections, undoing all my connections, connecting and unconnecting from a power conditioner, plugging straight into the wall, picking it up and trying a different house circuit.......all to no avail.

Brought it in......and it worked immediately

There is a slight possibility of user error here.....and I may (after hitting the back power switch)........may have been simply pressing the wrong button on the front.

I'll let you know once I try hooking it up again. Too funny if this is all it was.

I'm Martin.

We've all done it I'd guess. I did something similar today. Why is this not powering up? It's plugged in, socket plugged in and live, I'm pressing power. Why won't you work! - forgot there was a power switch on the back,
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast