+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for some guidance please

I'm John.

For a simple but good sounding plug and play system on your Budget I would say look at the following:
    TT
    Pro-Ject 2Xperience or Rega 6 (with Ortofon 2M Blue or AT VM95ML moving magnet cartridge)
    AMP
    Rotel, the 9xx & 0x range, are great sounding amps for not a lot of money used.
    Arcam, Marantz, Denon & Hegel are also worth looking at but tend to be a bit dearer.
    STREAMING
    Either the RPi (with friend building) or BlueSound Node2i (made by a Canadian parent company)
    CDP
    Anything on the used market from Sony, Technics or Pioneer (most 90s early 00s are pretty good and cost peanuts on ebay)
    PHONOSTAGE
    (if amp doesn't have one) either a Rega phono or one of the Pro-Ject offerings.
    This should then leave you a good chunk for speakers, wires and a rack (40% - 50% of budget).

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    For a simple but good sounding plug and play system on your Budget I would say look at the following:
    TT
    Pro-Ject 2Xperience or Rega 6 (with Ortofon 2M Blue or AT VM95ML moving magnet cartridge)
    AMP
    Rotel, the 9xx & 0x range, are great sounding amps for not a lot of money used.
    Arcam, Marantz, Denon & Hegel are also worth looking at but tend to be a bit dearer.
    STREAMING
    Either the RPi (with friend building) or BlueSound Node2i (made by a Canadian parent company)
    CDP
    Anything on the used market from Sony, Technics or Pioneer (most 90s early 00s are pretty good and cost peanuts on ebay)
    PHONOSTAGE
    (if amp doesn't have one) either a Rega phono or one of the Pro-Ject offerings.
    This should then leave you a good chunk for speakers, wires and a rack (40% - 50% of budget).
    John, Very good and sensible recommendations.

I would also add that if Steve could find a pair of Rotel RC1070(pre-amp) + RB1070(power amp) he would probably be set up for long term, they are about for sub £1K and are very good value for money as near reference sound quality. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...0601/rotel.htm. In fact probably something I should consider if I need to take some money out the hifi system.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Thanks for this. I've created a table of the varying recommendations and reading up. Quite enjoying this.

I'm Dan.

Being in Canada, I would go with a Pro-Ject as opposed to a Rega turntable. Nothing wrong with the Rega's, but with the takeover of Focal-Naim as importer, the service, dealer network and support are a mess. Dealers are dropping the line all across the country.
    Looking toward an amp, you could go with Bryston, Simaudio, or Hegel to name just a few.
    Stay away from vintage gear. First off, you are probably buying somebody else's problems, and even working, you are still looking at big money to have it reconditioned for long term use. Also the vintage prices have gotten stupidly out of hand.

I'm Steve.

Just reading back thru comments

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd guess with being in Canada you have at least a decent sized room i.e at least 20' by 15', so you should be able to accommodate a large speaker. Will you be able to place the speaker in space well away from walls and corners or will they need to be close to a wall?
    My home is a split level (4 levels including basement). Overall square footage is 1700 square feet (think that converts to 160 sq. meters) (main level is just living room/front foyer which would be about 12 x 20 feet with 14 foot ceiling.....but it is open to the upper level (which looks down on main floor) and would add about another 14 x 20 feet (upper level would be standard 8 foot ceilings) (overall the open area where I'm looking to place the system would be 20 x 24 (feet)

Placement will likely be an issue as in the main floor area the front wall is mostly glass (and the opposite wall is a large stone fireplace) I'm unfortunately limited to one of the end walls for placement. I do have room to have them at least 3 feet from the walls. (one more in a corner with windows on both walls behind...the other I can place not in a corner setting with up to 6 feet of room behind)

My alternate location is the basement which is shaped like an L. (each piece of the L being approx 12x14....one with an 8 foot ceiling and the other opening up to 14 foot ceiling)

Suddenly lots to think about in terms of acoustics and placement.

I'm Steve.

Anyone have an opinion on GoldenEar Triton speaker line.??? Looking at an ad for the Triton 5's being sold out of Vancouver. I have family there. I know to take reviews with a grain of salt, but had read a couple positive reviews.

Anyway....saw this on that Canuk Audio site.
    https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...five-speakers/

Also there was a Rotel amp/pre amp suggestion

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...rotel-rb-1070/

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...p-with-remote/

Of course the speakers are 5000 kms from the pre amp LOL

I'm Steve.

PMC? On the used market they go all the way from little DB1s all the way to size ones. And they would partner well with Bryston amplification. Or I believe B&W and Rotel are a good combination, with models at all price points. And a Technics SL1210 would work well straight out of the box, and very upgradeable if at a later date you felt inclined
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post
    Anyone have an opinion on GoldenEar Triton speaker line.??? Looking at an ad for the Triton 5's being sold out of Vancouver. I have family there. I know to take reviews with a grain of salt, but had read a couple positive reviews.

The Triton 5 would be a good buy at the right price, say $1000 USD.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post

I spoke to a guy selling ADAM Tensor Alphas, top of the range and very expensive, he was changing to Goldenear speakers.

I'm Steve.

Hey Folks....figured I'd just check in and say Hi. Find myself quarantined at the moment. Had a possible Covid exposure at work a couple days back/since tested negative but still house bound for another 24 hours. Great opportunity to spend the day in my pajamas and read about audio systems.

In that regard, been trying to create a list of products that have "intrigued" me.
    Speaker wise: Bowers & Wilkins 702 S2, Monitor Audio SILVER 300 , and the KEF LS50 Bookshelf
    Amp: Rogue Sphynx and Schiit Audio Aegir were my reading of choice tonight. (quite intrigued with the former)

One question in this regard: some have a built in phono stage.....yet some of my reading had recommendations of adding a separate phono stage. I'm assuming that is mainly because the built was not considered up to par???? Or maybe I just misunderstood.

Also want to look at Bryston (they are Canadian and I talked to a buddy last night who's brother was one of the engineers for PSB speakers.....then went to Paradigm.....and he suggested I have a look) (he also commented that buying a used amp is a good way to go.......but he questioned buying used speakers???)

Turntable wise: I still keep bouncing around. Looking at the Rega 6 as suggested, Pro-ject tables, and read this morning on the Music Hall MMF 7.3 2 (this last one, along with Bowers & Wilkins, Monitor Audio products....I have a connection at BestBuy ........He's got me some past wicked deals on computer components) I also keeping going back and looking at the Technics direct drives.

One question here and using Rega as an example; Between the Rega 3 and 6.......price I think is about $800 more for the 6....both come with the Ortofon 2 M Red. Assuming I wanted to stay in a similar price range...would not buying the 3 but upgrading to say an Ortofon Black be a reasonable proposal? ie. spend a bit less on the table and more on the cartridge. I can hear you now saying no......get the 6 with the black. LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast