+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6B4G Monoblocks with Hashimoto Transformers

I'm David.

Default 2A3 / 6B4G Monoblocks with Hashimoto Transformers

These amps started in life as some Audio Innovations The First Monos. They were produced by the factory built in AI 800 stereo chassis. Someone got hold of them and added a choke input GZ37 rectified power supply and converted the phase splitter from ECC82 to 5687 operation. The trouble was they got in a frightful pickle in implementing an earth lift system, as well as the heater supply. Worst of all, the chassis was not earthed at all, potentially exposing the user to dangerous voltages. The amp hummed like hell, but did show good promise for sound quality.

The amps have now been totally rebuilt with Hashimoto tranformers and chokes. Heating is all DC regulated. The amps now sound amazing, and run completely silently even on my 96DB speakers. Just as well really as the owner will be using them to drive his £4k headphones!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

They also measure incredibly well with those Hashimoto transformers as these photos of 1 and 10khz square waves show
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by AD Audio; 08-10-2020 at 12:40. Reason: title better

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Very nice indeed David! They look lovely, I'm sure they sound it too.

Having had no experience with valve amps, what's the reason for having an earth lift system?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Be these are lovely. Always liked a decent 2a3.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Justin.

Huh? I thought 6B4G was an octal 6A3.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep. Still the same as a 2a3 though, aside from filament voltage.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Adam.

Great work again David
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yep. Still the same as a 2a3 though, aside from filament voltage.
    I ordered a Russian equivalent to 6B4G with an octal to UX4 adapter last week just because they are mega cheap. Will put them in the Lampizator to see what they are like. Not expecting much but you never know.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Very nice indeed David! They look lovely, I'm sure they sound it too.

Having had no experience with valve amps, what's the reason for having an earth lift system?
    The earth lift system stops any earth loops happening when you connect ancillary equipment. Works incredibly well and can reduce the noise floor too

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I ordered a Russian equivalent to 6B4G with an octal to UX4 adapter last week just because they are mega cheap. Will put them in the Lampizator to see what they are like. Not expecting much but you never know.
    Let us know how those valves are. I will be building another pair of these in due course

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Nice, let us know what they are like. 6C4C is it?

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast