+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to the Forum, hi from sunny Essex, UK

I'm Atin.

Default New to the Forum, hi from sunny Essex, UK

Good Day all,

Thanks for permission to join the Forum & post.

I've been a music lover since I was a teen in the 80s with a little Sanyo Walkman & crappy headphones whacked up to max with all the distortion - brings back good memories, but would make my ears bleed these days.

My musical tast has been influenced by my parent's tastes - from when I was growing up - that's 70s dance/disco/soul. In my youth, I was a pop/dance/hip hop music lover - and still am! This migrated to hiphop/rap/R&B/Dance/Trance. What changed me probably was living abroad for a stint at the turn of the millenium. This exposed me to the world of Latin Music - stuff that I would never have dreamed of hearing when I was growing up in the UK.

Now my musical tastes are quite varied, but rap/hiphop is probably still 60% of what I listen to. the rest of it is a mash of pop & dance, but I still love Latin Music.

I use music for both enjoyment & for cleansing my mind. it's the only real meditation I get, and has probably saved me from depression a number of time.
    I love music & the only exception to me listening to music is when I'm working (using my brain) I can't focus on the work - i'm thinking about the music!
    When I move house, music is the first thing that gets sorted
    When thinking about a new house, the system and how it will go is my primary concern (not my wife's tho)

In music, I like principly the music - as can be enjoyed in a car, or with headphones off the phone. For background music, I have Sonos that runs through a Yamaha home theatre system. For serious music listening, I have a Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 3D, Pathos Logus amp & Rosksan FR5 floor standers.

So what brought me to the forum? I have never met anyone who likes misic in the way that I do, by that I mean I don't mean just harmony, detail, rythmn, cohesion, balance & realism - but I mean 3 dimensional sound stage. It lows my mind, and I'm always trying to hear it better than before, tweaking, obsessing over new kit & its impact etc. People don't understand it, and don't understand why i spend a majority of my spare pennys on it... and I kind of was hoping i'm not a total weirdo!

Only addition is that my mum has given me her (and my fathers) old vynl collection & Philips record player (it has a wooden chassis, that's how old it is) and I want to restore it & listen to some records - I'm hoping to find some support here & share my journey with like-minded folk.

that's about it, thanks for your time!!!!! (BTW, spelling and grammer are not my strong points, but waffling is - apologies in advance)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Atin,

Nice introduction, and no - you're "not a total weirdo". We are all looking to improve our systems: the secret is not to make it become an obsession, and to know when to stop when you reach the point of diminishing return. By then you will probably be satisfied and just want to kick back and play some tunes.

But until then, let me know whereabouts in Chelmsford you live, so I can avoid you and not become infected with 'upgraditis'.

Post some pictures of the Philips record player, so we can help you with its restoration.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Hi Atin. Welcome to AOS.

There's plenty going on here, so just join in the chat and get to know the members.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Hi Atin,

Welcome to the "Total weirdo's site' which I suspect we all have communality in. Sounds like you obsession is similar to mine, in that I love the experience of a proper 3d representation of piece of music from 2 speakers which sounds musical, I still find it amazing after many years of listening.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Atin.

Adrian, Geoff & Barry, thanks for welcoming me!
    I'm looking forward to engaging
    And glad I'm not alone in my weirdness!

+ Reply to Thread