+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deck / Arm / Cartridge advice

I'm John.

Default Deck / Arm / Cartridge advice

Hi all.

Current front end for vinyl is a Project Perspex 6 SB with an Ortofon Quintet Bronze. I'm pretty happy with the sound and its relatively easy to set up. I think Project get a bad rap sometime that undeserved.

I've had a niggle for a while though about being able to swap other carts in and out.

Perhaps going down the SPU route or detachable headshell ?

Happy to change the deck if required as I suspect the Project arm is a bit limiting overall here.

Any advice appreciated.

I have funds available and am prepared to sell the current deck if needed.

Phono stage is a Big Bottle Audio unit that I recently bought on here and it has surprised me a lot. Very smooth sound indeed.

Amplifier is a Yaqin MS-30L running Genelex Gold Lions.

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by speedyj; 06-10-2020 at 02:01.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Adrian.

Hi John

What sort of budget do you have in mind, or we could easily recommend some gear well out of reach? What do you want to achieve apart from cartridge swapping?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi John

What sort of budget do you have in mind, or we could easily recommend some gear well out of reach? What do you want to achieve apart from cartridge swapping?
    I would say £2000 is top end. Happy to do some fettling and buy 2nd hand also if that opens things up.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    I would say £2000 is top end. Happy to do some fettling and buy 2nd hand also if that opens things up.
    possibles

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/2223371007 A great TT that can be fettled and upgraded, check out which model this one is, the arm is VG and goes well with the TT, https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews...-357058/review

http://www.emporiumhifi.com/head-off...ver-wired-arm/ I believe these are very good decks and a great arm, the deck can be tricky to set up I understand but once done that's it.

Another alternative is to hunt out a Voyd the Voyd TT a very musical sounding TT, fantastic mid and top, and bass is pretty good, I had one and it was great, match it with and SME 309 or Jelco 9" or 10" arm, others can recommend suitable arms for it.

I'd be tempted by the Rock if cartridge swapping up your list then the arm may not suit, but would lead £500 for a cartridge.

The Delphi is a very well known deck and with the FR64XF should sing once set up.

Just a few suggestions. Others views may help
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Nathan.

I know this comes with no arm but having not long bought 1 of these I’m more than happy with it.
    It’s excellent build quality and it’s also great to see the weights spinning too.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...-£1375.246604/

I'm Adrian.

+ Reply to Thread