Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer / Seller protection on Art of Sound.

I'm alan.

I thought you had 180 days for a refund if you pay with Paypal (not F&F of course) and the item is faulty - rather a generous guarantee I must admit especially for second hand electronics. But if you buy on Ebay and pay with Paypal I think it's different - 30 or 45 days only? As I'm not 100% sure (and probably many others are uncertain) maybe someone in the know could clarify.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by alanc View Post
    I thought you had 180 days for a refund if you pay with Paypal (not F&F of course) and the item is faulty - rather a generous guarantee I must admit especially for second hand electronics. But if you buy on Ebay and pay with Paypal I think it's different - 30 or 45 days only? As I'm not 100% sure (and probably many others are uncertain) maybe someone in the know could clarify.
    You do but this is a private sale

I'm Neil.

A few comments:

1. Most sellers on AoS, being enthusiasts and who have an interest in not damaging their reputation on the forum, are honest and trustworthy;
    2. Second hand goods, by their very nature, can fail after sale whether one week after sale or several years - stuff happens;
    3. One can't assume that if equipment fails after sale that the seller knew or ought to have known it would fail and that he was therefore acting in an untrustworthy way;
    4. Vibrations from transportation of equipment whether by car or post can cause faults to occur which is not the fault of the seller or the buyer unless badly packaged by the seller;
    5. in most cases equipment purchased on the forum is considerably cheaper than if purchased from a dealer (or the well known aucton site) who charges more to cover his risk of having to make a repair or make a refund, so as a buyer you make your own choice about where you buy an item with knowledge of the relative risks;
    6. if despite the above a buyer still has concerns about potential problems then he should factor that concern into the price he pays for the equipment and should avoid buying expensive equipment to reduce the potential financial loss.

Touch wood I have never had any problems with sales or purchases from this great site where members are in virtually all cases helpful, informative and trustworthy without, in contrast with the rest of our nanny state, there needing to be a set of prescribed rules of behaviour to which we should adhere.
    Neil.

I'm Nat.

That’s all fine until your potentially almost £700 out of pocket and it’s very easy to be understanding when it’s not your money. I go out in all weathers and lay bricks to earn that money I didn’t fall from the sky.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    At what point after a sale does a faulty item sold in these classifieds cease to become the responsibility of the seller? If you purchased an item for a little under £700 and after 10 days it began to show a fault would you expect the seller to tell you to take it up with the manufacturer because the item which was sold to them ex demo making you the third owner is still under warranty.

As the seller of the item would you reimburse in full and take it up with the company you purchased from or just wash your hands of it.

We all buy and sell on this and other forums sometimes exchanging hundreds or thousands of pounds to people who don't really know because of a trust that all parties will act honourably.
    I'd be inclined after 10 days to have it repaired at sellers cost. or if he wants it back to return for refund.. probably pay for postage tho would be fair.
    After saying that I guess there may be other factors.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I'd be inclined after 10 days to have it repaired at sellers cost. or if he wants it back to return for refund.. probably pay for postage tho would be fair.
    After saying that I guess there may be other factors.
    Your contract is with the seller not the manufacturer. Many retailers try this on but it the seller that is responsible under UK law.

The issue with used goods is not so clear and proving when the fault started. Most sellers on AoS maybe honorable but not all are, I was reading a report only yesterday about one bad experience.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Actually, seller sounds like Emporium HiFi methods dealing with repairs
    They are just down the road from me, and although there's comment from time to time, I've not heard about a repairs problem. As I have an Italian piece distributed by them, I'm a little concerned by your comment, despite the item being quite reliable for years.

I'm Nat.

There was really no need for any of this all the seller had to do was offer to have the faulty psu part of the deck shipped back to the dealer he bought it from under warranty I would have parcelled it up and sent it for him all he had to do was handle communications. Instead his attitude was and is it's now not his problem end of.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Volante View Post
    A few comments:

1. Most sellers on AoS, being enthusiasts and who have an interest in not damaging their reputation on the forum, are honest and trustworthy;
    2. Second hand goods, by their very nature, can fail after sale whether one week after sale or several years - stuff happens;
    3. One can't assume that if equipment fails after sale that the seller knew or ought to have known it would fail and that he was therefore acting in an untrustworthy way;
    4. Vibrations from transportation of equipment whether by car or post can cause faults to occur which is not the fault of the seller or the buyer unless badly packaged by the seller;
    5. in most cases equipment purchased on the forum is considerably cheaper than if purchased from a dealer (or the well known aucton site) who charges more to cover his risk of having to make a repair or make a refund, so as a buyer you make your own choice about where you buy an item with knowledge of the relative risks;
    6. if despite the above a buyer still has concerns about potential problems then he should factor that concern into the price he pays for the equipment and should avoid buying expensive equipment to reduce the potential financial loss.

Touch wood I have never had any problems with sales or purchases from this great site where members are in virtually all cases helpful, informative and trustworthy without, in contrast with the rest of our nanny state, there needing to be a set of prescribed rules of behaviour to which we should adhere.
    agreed
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    They are just down the road from me, and although there's comment from time to time, I've not heard about a repairs problem. As I have an Italian piece distributed by them, I'm a little concerned by your comment, despite the item being quite reliable for years.
    Not far from me either, never had any dealings with them, their reputation is a bit mixed.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast