+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yamaha GT-CD1 or GT-CD2 help please!

I'm Robin.

Default Yamaha GT-CD1 or GT-CD2 help please!

Hi everyone

You may/may not be aware of this top-loading CD player from the late-80s/early-90s. Very much a last gasp of Japanese major manufacturer high-end.

These are somewhat unusual in that they use a "puck" sitting on top of the CD to stabilise it during play - a couple of pics attached found on one for sale on Hifido in Japan.

I recently acquired a more or less mint GT-CD2 (with remote and box) despite knowing that it had lost its puck and naively thinking I would find one easily - ha!

Fortunately I have an offer to make one from scratch and although some details can be divined from pictures taking the measurements from a real one would be v.v.v.v.helpful.

So, wondering if any AOSer might happen to have one that they can take some snaps of against a tape measure so the CNC guy has something to work from?

There are differences in sizes between the GT-CD1 and GT-CD2 pucks but ( I believe) they are interchangeable.

Thanks all - and yes I know this is a long-shot!

Robin

p.s. Yes in case you were wondering I do have a request into Yamaha Europe in Germany but I am pretty sure this will have gone into the "far too difficult" box
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Paul.

Hi Robin,

Found this link;

https://www.audio-high-store.com/yamaha-gt-cd1/

Seems to suggest that the weight of the GT-CD1 puck is 160g, made of brass. If the two are interchangeable, this may be of use.

Good luck with the hunt

I'm Martin.

if you put a CD on the platter can you not judge from that and the pics of the puck how large the puck is? The platter and CD being both known quantities size wise.

As long as it is the right weight and a similar size you won't need an exact match, a mil or so either way won't matter. And you know the weight already.

Lovely CD player, never seen one of those before.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robin.

Hey Vern

Thanks for that - I hadn't seen that page despite all my searching - very helpful!

I'm Robin.

Yes - can do that as I said in my initial post. However would be even better to get everything confirmed by taking the dimensions from the real thing... :-)

I'm Robin.

Hi all

A happy postscript to this - I found a great guy in Germany who managed to design and manufacture a replacement puck for me - what an amazing result!

If anyone needs one DM me and I'll connect you.

Pics of an original in brass for reference and replacement in aluminium attched.

IMG_5774.jpgIMG_5775.JPGIMG_5773.jpgGT-CD1 puck - top.jpg

+ Reply to Thread