+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any of these tonearms decent?

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Won the Mayware at £205, now what high compliance cart do I buy to match it with my 401? Scratches head.
    Nice one Mike, not too far off with my price prognosis then lol. Well he seemed a decent seller and he s thrown in an arcam cart 77 ?, so who knows you might be happy with that.
    Hope it goes well otherwise I can see Marco and I being off the Christmas card list for this year !

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I always thought Deccas preferred a wee bit of mass (as well as effective damping), Brian? The Mayware's super-light, I believe, although I've never used one. Is it a respected pairing in Decca circles, then?

I ask because I wouldn't know.

Marco.
    Yeah defo, seen quite a few examples on the Lenco site, gl 75, Decca/ mayware. One guy claimed here a few years back that in 35 years of listening to Decca carts the mayware was best combo he d heard
    I I. have the upgraded counterweight on mine which I know slightly defeats the purpose of a light arm, but it worked well for me and saves a bit on the aggro on set up. Maybe something for mike to think about ?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Nice one Mike, not too far off with my price prognosis then lol. Well he seemed a decent seller and he s thrown in an arcam cart 77 ?, so who knows you might be happy with that.
    Hope it goes well otherwise I can see Marco and I being off the Christmas card list for this year !
    Cheers, there seems to be quite a few well respected and popular high compliance carts on the market, so I'll have quite a selection to choose from, that Arcam cart is probably old and worn I'm guessing, never know.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Cheers, there seems to be quite a few well respected and popular high compliance carts on the market, so I'll have quite a selection to choose from, that Arcam cart is probably old and worn I'm guessing, never know.
    I like A&R 77 carts, let me know what he gives you, Red = C77 Blue = E77 & Black = P77. As for the body, if it has a gold can then it's a regular cart, if the can is Black then it's an Mg so metal as opposed to a plastic body.
    Am currently running a P77Mg on my Ariston RD80SL in my 80s rig.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I like A&R 77 carts, let me know what he gives you, Red = C77 Blue = E77 & Black = P77. As for the body, if it has a gold can then it's a regular cart, if the can is Black then it's an Mg so metal as opposed to a plastic body.
    Am currently running a P77Mg on my Ariston RD80SL in my 80s rig.

Its a C77 mg, very old by now, not expecting much from it, I guess replacement carts aren't available anymore.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm John.

The C77 is surpringly good for a conical cart. E & P styluses do show up from time to time on ebay, my P77 was a NOS stylus I grabbed from someone who didn't know what he had (muppet had it on ebay for £15 free p&p) had only been on 2 or 3 mins, hit the BIN button then started smiling and giggling.

Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It doesn't have to be high compliance. You could just as easily use a lowish compliance MC like the Denon DL-103. You'd need to use a head amp or SUT though and adjust the arm's fluid damping to suit.
    Mmm... Ok, firstly as I've said, I know next to fook all about Deccas or Mayware arms, so will gladly bow to the knowledge of those here who know far more than me in that area.

However, I do know the DL-103 inside out and back to front, and sorry, Geoff, I'd have to strongly disagree that it would work *optimally* in any low-mass tonearm. Quite simply, considerable experience of using the Denon for many years, in both light and heavy arms, completely contradicts what you've said.

The only way a 103 would have a chance of working properly in such an arm would be if you added about 13g to its headshell, and balanced it out at the other end, but then that would defeat the point of having a Mayware, and fly in the face of its design principles.

So for me, either grab a Decca, as it seems that's a top combo, or fit a quality low to medium-compliance MM or MC to the Mayware, as that will almost certainly be the best route to quality sound.

Nice one on winning the Mayware, btw, Mike. I'm sure that with the right cartridge it'll form a great combination with your 401!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shane.

The nice thing about the Mayware is that you can vary the effective mass. If you want to use a low compliance cart, slide the rider weight right up behind the head shell and set the VTF by adjusting the main counterweight. I ran mine quite happily with a Denon 304 without any damping. Worked a treat.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Shane,

Glad it worked for you, and although what you say about the rider may be true, I'm a great believer in tonearms being 'one-trick ponies', in that they're specifically designed to *optimise* the use of one type of cartridge (they may work ok with others, but optimise is quite a different matter), rather than being a 'jack of all trades', as the relationship between and arm and cartridge is such a finely balanced and critical thing to get right.

In that respect, what you've described with the Mayware, in terms of its claimed efficacy with low-compliance cartridges, is a compromise... Personally, I don't entertain those unless there's no other option, and so Mike shouldn't either, and choose a cartridge instead that his arm was designed to partner - and almost certainly, that's low to medium-compliance cartridges.

Furthermore, a DL-304 is a different beast from a DL-103, and has high compliance, so I'm not surprised that it worked well on the Mayware

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alasdair.

Dear Marco,
    I don't know what you have against Covid vaccination. Just for the record I like your views on hifi but you are wrong about vaccination. If you really want to debate this I suggest you do it elsewhere.
    Stay healthy and keep enjoying music,
    Alasdair

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast