+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any of these tonearms decent?

I'm JP.

Alasdair - you do realise that he owns this website and is therefore free to state his views...?

I'm Charlie.

Jelco works fine on my slate plinthed 401.

I'm Tony.

Default Tonearm advice

Hello all

I'm after arm advice for an 80's AR 'The Legend' TT (pic attached) - it still has the stock arm (I've read it's a Jelco but don't know for sure). Contenders are: Origin Live Silver (could stretch to a Zephr), Rega RB880, Michell Technoarm 2, Roksan Nima - but I'm far from an expert and haven't heard any of them.

Soooo, what says the community? I'm open to suggestions!

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by macca63; 11-05-2021 at 21:03. Reason: pic upload

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by macca63 View Post
    Hello all

I'm after arm advice for an 80's AR 'The Legend' TT (pic attached) - it still has the stock arm (I've read it's a Jelco but don't know for sure). Contenders are: Origin Live Silver (could stretch to a Zephr), Rega RB880, Michell Technoarm 2, Roksan Nima - but I'm far from an expert and haven't heard any of them.

Soooo, what says the community? I'm open to suggestions!

TIA
    Nothing wrong with the standard arm at all (which is a Jelco). I'd stick with it and buy more records, personally!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

+1
    Barry

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Nothing wrong with the standard arm at all (which is a Jelco). I'd stick with it and buy more records, personally!
    Always buying records!

The AR has served me well for many years but I also have a Rega RP1 (2011) which I've modified a fair bit over the years; top & bottom bracing, stainless steel pulley & sub-platter, acrylic platter & motor thrust bearing and most recently a Rega RB250 arm with Origin Live stainless steel stub and counterweight (running a Nagoka MP-110 cartridge). To say it sounds better than the AR (which has an Ortofon Blue cartridge) isn't right but the sound of the Rega seems more forward with better instrument separation so I was thinking that a 35 year old arm that's had a fair bit of use might be showing it's age. A friend bought an AR a couple of years before me ('83/'84) with the Linn LVX which was sold as an upgrade but the internet doesn't seem to rate this arm much these days and that got me thinking too.

To be fair, I've recently moved home and now have room to have both decks out so it could be I need to get used to the AR again as it could be as simple as it having different sonic characteristics. Would you say it's worth having the Jelco rewired? It's a pretty slim tube.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by macca63 View Post
    Would you say it's worth having the Jelco rewired? It's a pretty slim tube.
    See previous answer! What cartridge are you using on it? Improving this would be where I would spend my money.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Tony.

Cartridge is the Ortofon 2M Blue, which could be the difference I'm hearing as I've read the Nagoaka MP-110 is more forward. I've had a few days of listening now and have to say I prefer the AR sound over my much-modded Rega. It sounds more assured and stable, I bit like how it looks! It's also quieter, I can't hear anything at all during quiet sections and between tracks. It's been mostly sat in a box for 10 years which I know now is a crying shame. Now I have a half-decent cartridge on it and have spent some time getting the settings right I can't fault it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234