Thread: Crap Weather for October!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's wet. Very wet!
    Yes, here too.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What you need is a two-pronged attack - saw through the offending roots to prevent further growth, they'll eventually rot, and get Monster and Little Timid to use tree as a scratching post
    Good idea, Monster can sit on the slabs to push them back down.
    Spendorman

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    What you need is a two-pronged attack - saw through the offending roots to prevent further growth, they'll eventually rot, and get Monster and Little Timid to use tree as a scratching post
    I am not sure about this, but could local authority/council whatever cut up rough about cutting the roots even if on your property? If they are affecting your property, I think it would be wise to get citizens advice to check on your rights, or get the local authority to sort out the problem.
    I was just thinking along the lines that if you cut the roots and the tree topples at a later date (strong winds for example) would you be liable for any damages caused?

Also, if the tree is old, then cutting the roots would affect the soil moisture content which could cause further problems for you house - When we extended our house we got rid of a large Scots pine which was nearby, surveyor insisted on two metre foundations for the extension as removal of the tree would cause changes to the soil structure (I always thought it was a bit of a joke as the original foundations were only about two courses of bricks deep - floating?)
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    I am not sure about this, but could local authority/council whatever cut up rough about cutting the roots even if on your property? If they are affecting your property, I think it would be wise to get citizens advice to check on your rights, or get the local authority to sort out the problem.
    I was just thinking along the lines that if you cut the roots and the tree topples at a later date (strong winds for example) would you be liable for any damages caused?

Also, if the tree is old, then cutting the roots would affect the soil moisture content which could cause further problems for you house - When we extended our house we got rid of a large Scots pine which was nearby, surveyor insisted on two metre foundations for the extension as removal of the tree would cause changes to the soil structure (I always thought it was a bit of a joke as the original foundations were only about two courses of bricks deep - floating?)
    Thank you for your thoughts, I shall have a think about this and probably, as you suggest, ask Citizens Advice.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Heavily overcast here with light rain but very mild, almost balmy.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Still wet here, Monster and Little Timid at the back door, and they have been fed. They have grown to accept each other these days.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Does Monster still growl at you?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Does Monster still growl at you?
    Hisses occasionally, but then a feint meow! I think I previously mentioned that he's completely deaf.

It would be nice if they would come in and me be able to shut the door now the weathers getting worse.
    Spendorman

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post

That is a fair point, though I was assuming the offending tree isn't very close to Alex's property, so the roots would not be so thick - not so much like amputating a leg, more like cutting off a couple of toes. But as for contacting the council, there's a chance they will do sod all about it anytime soon, but then you will be on their radar. CAB as suggested would be a better bet.

Councils are not averse to shitting on you from a great height if you don't comply.

An example: Last year I built some fencing at the front of this guy's property. There was a huge old beech right in the way, so I had to stop the fencing there and resume it on the other side of this tree. The customer said this would be temporary - the tree was in bad shape, almost completely hollow at the bottom, and leaning over a busy road. He thought a call to the council would prompt them to cut down the tree, problem solved. Turns out the tree was on his property (just about), and the council gave him 28 days to remove it at his expense, or the council would do it and bill him 4 grand.

He got a company to fell it, still cost him £3,000.

I'll bore you with another story: A few years ago a customer was having a single storey extension at the back of his house, but when the man from the planning office came to check the proposed extension was ok to go ahead, he pointed to an old oak at the bottom of the garden, and produced a table showing different trees and how close to them you can build.

Felling the oak was strictly not allowed, so the customer had to pay for piling and a "raft" (don't ask me, I don't get involved in that sort of thing). This added a few thousand to the cost of his project, but this is what happens when you get the man with the hard hat and clipboard round
    Last edited by Pigmy Pony; 21-10-2020 at 19:17.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm guy.

^^^^ I wasn't sure of my thinking; but I agree that local authorities are pretty worthless and try to avoid any costs (doesn't seem to bother them when it comes to building and furnishing their offices, salaries for managers/"leaders" etc) - time for a new thread
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast