+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for October!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Heating rooms that aren't in use is a waste of money IMO. My total bill for power each month is only £60.
    Thought mine was low at £67 per month (last year) but you beat me!
    Spendorman

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Gosh that is high, that's well more than I pay for gas and electric although I got a good deal last year, looks like prices have gone up.

Heating empty rooms is not a waste, as can keep the damp away. I just have the rooms not being used on a low setting and open the doors everyday but I don't live a castle or mansion.

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    As a kid, we only had a gas fire in the front room. I used to get quite excited when the temperature used to drop below freezing outside - it meant that I could scratch pictures in the ice on the inside of my bedroom windows (we had it tough ).

I still like a cool/cold bedroom, snuggle under the covers and cuddle up.
    I remember my last house before double glazing and I had those Crittal windows, they used to freeze up on the inside and could not see out for weeks. That was with central on as well.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    I remember my last house before double glazing and I had those Crittal windows, they used to freeze up on the inside and could not see out for weeks. That was with central on as well.
    Maybe this belongs on the 'Are You Knocking On a Bit' thread : https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...light=Knocking
    The word is 'valves' in this country, not tubes. Tubes are what Smarties come in!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Now I'm working at home and winter is coming I expect that will go up a bit. Previously I was out of the house at work for 50 hours a week so only the 'fridge was using any power during those times. And that's just a larder 'fridge (no icebox) so doesn't use much.
    Current Lash Up:

*Oppo BDT-101CI* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Now I'm working at home and winter is coming I expect that will go up a bit. Previously I was out of the house at work for 50 hours a week so only the 'fridge was using any power during those times. And that's just a larder 'fridge (no icebox) so doesn't use much.
    Surprisingly I found it did not make much difference to the heating costs, some reckon leaving the heating on all day is cheaper than switching it on and off, it will depend on the insulation, boiler type and the climate though. Modern condensing boilers are most efficient running at lower temp. around 65C than the old boiler which run at higher temperatures. Modern boilers are more efficient but may not last so long. I don't use any electric for heating, all my mine is gas.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    Surprisingly I found it did not make much difference to the heating costs, some reckon leaving the heating on all day is cheaper than switching it on and off, it will depend on the insulation, boiler type and the climate though. Modern condensing boilers are most efficient running at lower temp. around 65C than the old boiler which run at higher temperatures. Modern boilers are more efficient but may not last so long. I don't use any electric for heating, all my mine is gas.
    yup i find it cheaper to have it on 24/7... if its warm enough it wont come on.. i remember trying to heat a cold house up, and it cost a fortune.. better with 15 mins every now and then which keeps the walls warm
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - IFI PURIFIER 2/PATHOS CLASSIC REMIX & HIDAC AMPLIFIER - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - NURAPHONE' HEADPHONES - 2*ZBOOK'- ROON - MULTI HDD'S - DIGIONE RPI3 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC SUPRA, FISUAL, MOGAMI,

**Iíve studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through**
    "An old man sleeps with his conscience at night, while young kids sleep with their dreams"

"Justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea, And it feels like I'm living in the wasteland of the free"
    Give me absolute control
    Over every living soul, I've seen the future, baby,
    It is murder!
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yup i find it cheaper to have it on 24/7... if its warm enough it wont come on.. i remember trying to heat a cold house up, and it cost a fortune.. better with 15 mins every now and then which keeps the walls warm
    I don't have my heating on at night.

My last house used to get very cold because out all day at work, I think the secret is to not let it get cold, say under 15C then it does not take much to warm up. When I stopped work, the heating bill did not go up even with the heating during the day and of course it was warmer in the evening. This house could do with cavity wall insulation and is open plan but it's not too bad, unless we have the "beast from the east".

My thermostat is on a 20 min. cycle, if its over 2C below the set temp. it is on most of the time but as it gets warm then it is on less minutes each cycle, this is more efficient than having it on all the time until the set temperature is hit, then going off then coming back on after about 20 mins then on for about 15 minutes then off for maybe over an hour then starting over again.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Maybe this belongs on the 'Are You Knocking On a Bit' thread : https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...light=Knocking
    We blocked up all our windows when window tax was introduced
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon 2M Black. Phono: Yaqin MS-22B CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Headphone/pre: Myryad Z40; Amp: Audion Silver Night 300b stereo
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini-1, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

I'm Mike.

Today was grim, hopefully I'll still be with my Spanish girlfriend when/if I can afford to relocate to Spain!
    Current system - Garrard 401/Mayware F4 in progress! 1210 GR/Jelco 750/Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amp - Audio Innovations S500. Audio Note J's / QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast