+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for October!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Heating rooms that aren't in use is a waste of money IMO. My total bill for power each month is only £60.
    Thought mine was low at £67 per month (last year) but you beat me!
    Spendorman

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Gosh that is high, that's well more than I pay for gas and electric although I got a good deal last year, looks like prices have gone up.

Heating empty rooms is not a waste, as can keep the damp away. I just have the rooms not being used on a low setting and open the doors everyday but I don't live a castle or mansion.

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    As a kid, we only had a gas fire in the front room. I used to get quite excited when the temperature used to drop below freezing outside - it meant that I could scratch pictures in the ice on the inside of my bedroom windows (we had it tough ).

I still like a cool/cold bedroom, snuggle under the covers and cuddle up.
    I remember my last house before double glazing and I had those Crittal windows, they used to freeze up on the inside and could not see out for weeks. That was with central on as well.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    I remember my last house before double glazing and I had those Crittal windows, they used to freeze up on the inside and could not see out for weeks. That was with central on as well.
    Maybe this belongs on the 'Are You Knocking On a Bit' thread : https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...light=Knocking
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Now I'm working at home and winter is coming I expect that will go up a bit. Previously I was out of the house at work for 50 hours a week so only the 'fridge was using any power during those times. And that's just a larder 'fridge (no icebox) so doesn't use much.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Now I'm working at home and winter is coming I expect that will go up a bit. Previously I was out of the house at work for 50 hours a week so only the 'fridge was using any power during those times. And that's just a larder 'fridge (no icebox) so doesn't use much.
    Surprisingly I found it did not make much difference to the heating costs, some reckon leaving the heating on all day is cheaper than switching it on and off, it will depend on the insulation, boiler type and the climate though. Modern condensing boilers are most efficient running at lower temp. around 65C than the old boiler which run at higher temperatures. Modern boilers are more efficient but may not last so long. I don't use any electric for heating, all my mine is gas.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    Surprisingly I found it did not make much difference to the heating costs, some reckon leaving the heating on all day is cheaper than switching it on and off, it will depend on the insulation, boiler type and the climate though. Modern condensing boilers are most efficient running at lower temp. around 65C than the old boiler which run at higher temperatures. Modern boilers are more efficient but may not last so long. I don't use any electric for heating, all my mine is gas.
    yup i find it cheaper to have it on 24/7... if its warm enough it wont come on.. i remember trying to heat a cold house up, and it cost a fortune.. better with 15 mins every now and then which keeps the walls warm
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yup i find it cheaper to have it on 24/7... if its warm enough it wont come on.. i remember trying to heat a cold house up, and it cost a fortune.. better with 15 mins every now and then which keeps the walls warm
    I don't have my heating on at night.

My last house used to get very cold because out all day at work, I think the secret is to not let it get cold, say under 15C then it does not take much to warm up. When I stopped work, the heating bill did not go up even with the heating during the day and of course it was warmer in the evening. This house could do with cavity wall insulation and is open plan but it's not too bad, unless we have the "beast from the east".

My thermostat is on a 20 min. cycle, if its over 2C below the set temp. it is on most of the time but as it gets warm then it is on less minutes each cycle, this is more efficient than having it on all the time until the set temperature is hit, then going off then coming back on after about 20 mins then on for about 15 minutes then off for maybe over an hour then starting over again.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Maybe this belongs on the 'Are You Knocking On a Bit' thread : https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...light=Knocking
    We blocked up all our windows when window tax was introduced
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Today was grim, hopefully I'll still be with my Spanish girlfriend when/if I can afford to relocate to Spain!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast