+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E88CC. Suggestions

I'm Edward.

Default E88CC. Suggestions

Mulling over an alternative driver valve for my Trilogy 968 amp.

Currently sporting 6 x Edicron E88CC (code D8G08). No complaints at all. Great at all frequencies, fast, rich, detailed but not clinical. But you know how it is - that itch.

I see here and there various vintage stock (Siemens, GEC, Mullard, Phillips) but at prices that hurt - especially as I need six.

So I was wondering what current crop of E88CCs are worth considering? Perhaps I'm just dreaming that different driver valves will make a noticeable difference? Maybe I should just focus on different output valves (the Trilogy takes either EL34 or KT88)?

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

Hi Edward. If you want to try some tube rolling on a budget you might like to go for the Russian 6N23P or Jan Philips 6922. I've not tried the former much but they are supposed to be giant slayers, although the better EV/EB variants go for a fair whack these days. I used the Jan Philips in a few amps in the past and they are very transparent, verging on the bright, so possibly not much different from the Edicrons if I've interpreted your description correctly.

As always it's just worth checking that different tube variants work with your amp but these generally tend to be drop in replacements for an ECC88 (of which I believe the E88CC is a higher spec variant itself).

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Justin.

I have some Rocket logo 6N23P and have no idea why they are raved about.

Lotta deaf dudes about I guess

Tesla E88CC factory code 32 yellow print gold pins are what you want The Siemens are almost exactly the same sonically - at least the ones I had were.

I'm gordan.

get someone to rework your amp and skip these overhyped, overpriced glass.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    What, you mean stick some transistors in and turn it into a solid state amp? Go for it Edward, Alan could probably do it for you

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

A frame Mullards have a nice over-all presentation, the Tesla's already mentioned seem to get good press too, there are many versions of this valve out there, if you buy from a dealer; the main thing is to make sure they have been tested for noise and microphonics, this valve having a high GM MA/V is very prone to be noisy, it wasnt intented for use in audio, so for many aplications noise was a secondary concern.
    Good luck with your quest.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Hi Edward. If you want to try some tube rolling on a budget you might like to go for the Russian 6N23P or Jan Philips 6922. I've not tried the former much but they are supposed to be giant slayers, although the better EV/EB variants go for a fair whack these days. I used the Jan Philips in a few amps in the past and they are very transparent, verging on the bright, so possibly not much different from the Edicrons if I've interpreted your description correctly.

As always it's just worth checking that different tube variants work with your amp but these generally tend to be drop in replacements for an ECC88 (of which I believe the E88CC is a higher spec variant itself).
    Reading around I get confused what are drop in replacements versus equivalents. Seems like the 6922 are USA equivalents of E88CC (Euro designations). Not sure how EC88s and 6N23P fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I have some Rocket logo 6N23P and have no idea why they are raved about.

Lotta deaf dudes about I guess

Tesla E88CC factory code 32 yellow print gold pins are what you want The Siemens are almost exactly the same sonically - at least the ones I had were.

The Tesla code 32 seems largely unobtanium (or silly prices). They certainly seem highly regarded. Do you know of a current manufactured crop that gets near these in terms of SQ Justin?

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What, you mean stick some transistors in and turn it into a solid state amp? Go for it Edward, Alan could probably do it for you
    I think Nic Poulson (who had this amp over earlier this year and liked how it sounded) would throw a fit if I started mucking around with his circuit. And anyway Alan has another project on for me. Can't have Alan start raising his charges due to him having too much work.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    A frame Mullards have a nice over-all presentation, the Tesla's already mentioned seem to get good press too, there are many versions of this valve out there, if you buy from a dealer; the main thing is to make sure they have been tested for noise and microphonics, this valve having a high GM MA/V is very prone to be noisy, it wasnt intented for use in audio, so for many aplications noise was a secondary concern.
    Good luck with your quest.
    Thanks. I may in time get some vintage glass, but for now looking for current crop. Any suggestions?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

6DJ8 should be drop in, and probably the russian 6H23P as well.

but what do i know
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    6DJ8 should be drop in, and probably the russian 6H23P as well.

but what do i know
    Ah thanks Grant. Let me look at that.

I'm sure you know a lot Grant, or is that caveat you just covering yourself in case I blow up the house by using your suggestion?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

ECC88, E88CC, 6DJ8, 6922, 7308, and a few others are drop in replacements in most equipment, there are a few modern production versions that get mentioned, one i have seen mentioned is the Electro-Harmonics one, but might be a bit forward for some tastes, also worth considering is the original standard steel pin Tesla E88CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Reading around I get confused what are drop in replacements versus equivalents. Seems like the 6922 are USA equivalents of E88CC (Euro designations). Not sure how EC88s and 6N23P fit in.

The Tesla code 32 seems largely unobtanium (or silly prices). They certainly seem highly regarded. Do you know of a current manufactured crop that gets near these in terms of SQ Justin?

I think Nic Poulson (who had this amp over earlier this year and liked how it sounded) would throw a fit if I started mucking around with his circuit. And anyway Alan has another project on for me. Can't have Alan start raising his charges due to him having too much work.

Thanks. I may in time get some vintage glass, but for now looking for current crop. Any suggestions?
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast