+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audio Technica VMN50 SH

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Hi mike,
    I owned a jelco 750 with my 401 and always found it rather flat even with audio technica carts such as oc9, mlx150 known for decent energy.
    Maybe it was the plinth arm phono stage combo but it never sounded anywhere near as good as it looked (which was brilliant with the 401). Or perhaps I just have better kit now than I did then. But I tried several MM and MC carts on the 750 and it was only when I changed the arm that I started getting the kind.of performance out of the 401 I had heard in other setups.
    I remember Terry and Nigel at Loricraft being rather underwhelmed by thw Jelco when I sent it to them to make a plinth.
    Graham
    Interesting comments regarding the synergy (or not!) of the 401 / Jelco / AT cartridge.

I have built two 'solid' plinths (from 25mm Beach ply) in the recent past for exactly the same combinations and have been most impressed with the results on both ocassions.
    I use a 12" Jelco and my pal uses a 9", but the interesting part of this is that he swapped his Loricraft skeletal plinth for the solid Beach one and the result has apparently been a more convincing sound overall, better bass and more realistic presentation.

I currently use an AT VM750SH in my Jelco and the results are most impressive when compared to some of my other carts, so conclude that any criticisms of the 401 / Jelco / AT could be aimed at any part of the set-up, possibly including the interconnect?

G
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Kevin.

This is the first time I have heard of a Shibata giving less detail than a nude elliptical.
    Are you sure it is set up correctly? They are a pain to get right.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Nat.

I was pretty meticulous but looked again after the post above and discovered in the process that the platter wasn't entirely level so sorted that out wether the that or it's the stylus settling in I don't know but I have gained a bit more detail it's been a while now so can't really remember if the nude elliptical has more detail but am very, very happy with it regardless.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    I was pretty meticulous but looked again after the post above and discovered in the process that the platter wasn't entirely level so sorted that out wether the that or it's the stylus settling in I don't know but I have gained a bit more detail it's been a while now so can't really remember if the nude elliptical has more detail but am very, very happy with it regardless.
    That is the most important thing.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

I find myself getting pulled back in to this thread, as I also have a 150ea, which is currently fitted with the ATN150MLx.
    Has anybody compared the MicroLine to Shibata styli?
    Is there a massive difference?

And has anybody used the Special Line contact stylus?
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12