+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica VMN50 SH

I'm Nat.

Default Audio Technica VMN50 SH

I’ve just bought the above stylus to try against the nude elliptical on my AT150EA I’ve never owned a Shibata before so what can I expect?

I'm Peter.

The only AT cartridge I've had was over 30 years ago, and the only Shibata I've had is a Hana not currently in use...

However, as its not just the tip that creates the character, but the package and how it is handled by everything that follows, I'd suggest you install it, take a comfy seat and listen...

And hopefully you'll be a very happy bunny.!

Enjoy the music.!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Simon.

I would be very interested to hear your findings Natara as i have the VM540ML and wanted to give the Shibata tip a whirl but wondered if its worth the extra expense ?

Keep us posted.

Simon

I'm Graham.

I use the almost identical AT150Sa having owned the 440mla and 150MLX.

IMO, the Shibata tip is a significant upgrade. Midrange is fuller and more coherent, bass is deeper without losing any top end extension. Its also pacier and boogies better, so its great for rock and pop. It really responds well to a good valve phono stage.

I prefer it over several over hi-end MM carts I owned such as Nag MP500, Audio Note IQ2, DNM Reson Reca.

I fully expect you will love it!

I'm Mike.

I'd agree with Graham, a mate of mine owns a VM750SH and every time i hear it i'm impressed, personally speaking i think i prefer it to my Dynavector 10x5

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    I use the almost identical AT150Sa having owned the 440mla and 150MLX.

IMO, the Shibata tip is a significant upgrade. Midrange is fuller and more coherent, bass is deeper without losing any top end extension. Its also pacier and boogies better, so its great for rock and pop. It really responds well to a good valve phono stage.

I prefer it over several over hi-end MM carts I owned such as Nag MP500, Audio Note IQ2, DNM Reson Reca.

I fully expect you will love it!
    Sounds good, and its not too expensive? Might try one with a Jelco 750 on the 401.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Graham.

Hi mike,
    I owned a jelco 750 with my 401 and always found it rather flat even with audio technica carts such as oc9, mlx150 known for decent energy.
    Maybe it was the plinth arm phono stage combo but it never sounded anywhere near as good as it looked (which was brilliant with the 401). Or perhaps I just have better kit now than I did then. But I tried several MM and MC carts on the 750 and it was only when I changed the arm that I started getting the kind.of performance out of the 401 I had heard in other setups.
    I remember Terry and Nigel at Loricraft being rather underwhelmed by thw Jelco when I sent it to them to make a plinth.
    I note you have an mp200 which is a decent cart, have you thought about an arm upgrade instead?
    Graham

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Hi mike,
    I owned a jelco 750 with my 401 and always found it rather flat even with audio technica carts such as oc9, mlx150 known for decent energy.
    Maybe it was the plinth arm phono stage combo but it never sounded anywhere near as good as it looked (which was brilliant with the 401). Or perhaps I just have better kit now than I did then. But I tried several MM and MC carts on the 750 and it was only when I changed the arm that I started getting the kind.of performance out of the 401 I had heard in other setups.
    I remember Terry and Nigel at Loricraft being rather underwhelmed by thw Jelco when I sent it to them to make a plinth.
    I note you have an mp200 which is a decent cart, have you thought about an arm upgrade instead?
    Graham
    Yeh, I might look out for something else. I had the Nima, but I hated it usability wise, it was pants.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Nat.

Well after a couple of weeks of use I'm really happy with the Shibata it's got a lovely full midrange and fuller bass possibly at the cost of a tiny bit of detail compared to the 150EA's own nude elliptical but it's staying in place for the time being think I'll try a Micro Line when I've some spare cash or if I'm really flush the Special Line sounds like it might be well worth a try.

I'm rep.

Interesting
    Are the ML just hyped with Shibata the final winner.?

So many positive reviews for ML but more reserved for Shibata.
    Fuller sound v details....?, I know what I would choose, even the obvious shorter lifetime

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast