+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Garrard 301

I'm Surayne.

Default Wanted: Garrard 301

Always been curious about how an early 301 would compare to my 401... I'm looking for a grease bearing model, not fussed about finish. Doesn't need to be in perfect cosmetic condition, I'm happy to do some fettling. Please PM me if you happen to have one available.

I'm Steve.

I'm not sure you'll hear much difference if any. The differences in construction are subtle, but quite major cosmetically. Interesting project nonetheless. I have a 401 and have owned a 301 previously.

I'm Patrick.

Grease bearing 301s tend to be quite sought after and even the 'imperfect' ones tend to go for quite a bit. I have one that has been completely refurbished by CTC and is still in the box wait for me to do something with it, and I think Ray told me it would fetch 2 or 3 grand on eBay (I am not looking to sell it).

So it might be an expensive itch to scratch.

I'm Andrew.

I've both a 301 and a 401 they do sound markedly different I would say the 401 sounding better but the 301 just presents music in such a way. I jump between the two and it depends upon what genre j want to play
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Surayne.

Thanks for the thoughts. The rebuilt ones do seem to go for huge sums on eBay! Hoping something less astronomical comes up - happy to put the work in to get one up to spec myself.

I'm Andrew.

You'll be lucky. Everyone is looking for the same pot of gold and then sell them on.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

I know someone who has several of each and the 301s are the grey ones so he has a nice little stash for his retirement

I'm mark.

10 tatty ones recently sold for over £10k, the days of cheap ones relies on lucking out or someone being charitable...

FWIW, my grey 301 has a bit more get up and go/va-voom/PRAT whatever you like to call it, but construction of the plinth can be as big a variable in SQ.

I'm Surayne.

Not expecting charity, certainly, happy to pay a fair price. I'd much rather buy from an enthusiast on here rather than eBay though.

I'm Paul.

Might this be of interest?

I've had it many years and bought it from a UK dealer. I had it serviced by Terry at Loricraft about 12 years ago (I'll check the service sheet later!), since when it has been sat in a box!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast