+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi folks

I'm Steve.

Default Hi folks

Hi, I've been meaning to join this site after reading of Marco's experiences of some old classic cartridges! The Goldring being a surprise to me, a G800 no less. This was on a Lasky's (1970's chain of High St HiFi shops) special stereo separates system in about 1974.

My beginning:-

Teleton receiver, Garrard SP1V and Solavox speakers...he he , loved that system in my teens. Previously it was a PYE single wooden box mono player! I listened to a lot of Beatles on the PYE, plus much MJQ, Count Basie etc., thanks Dad!

All of my LP's from the 70's I kept, during the CD years.

A Revelation - the future is Vinyl:-

In 2017 however it was hello vinyl again! I bought a cheap ancient Technics SLD303, with good Nagaoka MP 11, hooked it up to a schitt mani phono /Edwards linear power supply and yes you guessed the vinyl magic of that combination blew me away...amps are DPA 200s pre and DPA 200 power, DPA black slink interconnects and Black 16 (I think) speaker cable.

This year Semi Retirement:-

I work part time (software testing).

In 2018 I acquired the 1976 package of Technics SL 150 v1, with sme 3009 detachable headshell (sold in Lasky's?). Lots of Newplast layered onto the plasticky base and placed on a bamboo shelf, supported by yellow dot squash balls . Playing now with a Nagaoka MP50, sounds superb on Clapton Unplugged 180 g. So does my B&O SP6/7, Nagaoka MP11 Gold, and Nagaoka MP 15, but each performs better or worse depending on the LP, I have noticed. Horses for courses with cartridges and headshells, methinks.

Cheers, Steve (aka TELETON)

I'm Geoff.

Hi Steve. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds as though you trod a similar path to many of us and looks like you have a nice system now. The Technics/SME/Nagoaka combo is well chosen and should sound very nice.

Join in the chat and get to know folks, they're a friendly lot.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Hi Steve, Welcome to AoS, a very similar path to me, sadly I lost my vinyl through theft in London in late 70's and then stupidly sold what I had in late 80's I have however repented and returned to the fold about 5 years ago, and have gone through several TT evolutions.

All the best

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Default Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome guys

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Steve.

Was you Teleton a SAQ206?

A couple of my friends started with that amplifier, and I certainly started with the Garrard SP25 Mk.II (but with a Shure cartridge).

You have moved onwards and upwards, and I can concurr the B&O SP6 is still a good cartridge, albeit with a 'ragged' top end.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Default Teleton receiver

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the photo of the Teleton and I'm pretty sure that is the one. Great memories of listening to Dark Side of the moon when it was released! I particularly enjoyed listening through the rather bulbous white and black Wharfedale headphones we had too.

Cheers

Steve

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Those might have been the Wharfedale Isodynamic headphones.

or maybe the Wharfedale 'Professional'

Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Bulbous would probably be the DD2 with tweeter and woofer (same as the professional that Barry showed I think). I had a pair and rather liked them but had to get rid of them in a clear out.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS Steve.

Was you Teleton a SAQ206?

A couple of my friends started with that amplifier, and I certainly started with the Garrard SP25 Mk.II (but with a Shure cartridge).

You have moved onwards and upwards, and I can concurr the B&O SP6 is still a good cartridge, albeit with a 'ragged' top end.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    A great little amplifier, actually made by Mitsubishi.
    Spendorman

I'm Steve.

Ha yes, the ‘professional’, shape are the ones. I’ve still got them on top of a bookshelf. Plugged them in a few years ago, still worked but not that great anymore.

Just realised Barry you are spot on with the SP25 mkII, that was the turntable

...Teleton made by Mitsubishi - and that may explain its longevity and reliability.

Like I say it was a selected package sold by Lasky’s. It was a chance to buy ‘separates’, and the possibility of obtaining a much better stereo effect! In essence I guess that is still my mission.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast