+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odd tonearm - turntable set up, advice requested

I'm Neil.

Default Odd tonearm - turntable set up, advice requested

I'm hoping that some of the resident turntable gurus could cast some light on the issue I have with a recent TT buy as illustrated on images below.

The pivot to spindle distance measures just over 220mm with effective length around 240mm but the only way of getting even close to any alignment is by pushing the cartridge as far back as it will go. Am I missing something obvious or is the tonearm mounted in the wrong position?

Its an Opus3 Continuo, with unknown arm, may be a one off but appears well made (unipivot) and I would have thought whoever made it had a decent understanding of set-up geometry.

Any advice gratefully received,

Cheers

Neil

I'm malcolm.

I wonder if this originally had the parallel tracking arm which has been replaced by this unknown one but has used the same mounting hole whereas it should have had a slightly longer pivot to spindle mounting distance/
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Neil.

That’s exactly what I was wondering...there’s a clean hole and just 3 fixings so it’s not been adapted to fit, in which case that would be a bit annoying

If it is the case, what is the best way of calculating pivot-spindle length from effective length (and is there a way of accurately determining it from arm measurement- pivot to end of head shell mid point or that minus x mm to normal stylus/overhang position?). Luckily the slots are long and it should be easy enough to relocate the arm position without it being visible.

I'm John.

Try 211mm (Linn geometry).

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Are there no marks or labels on the tonearm to identify it?

If you can identify the tonearm, then you can find the details of the arm's geometry using vinylengine.com, from which one can calculate the two null radii.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Are there no marks or labels on the tonearm to identify it?.
    I'm fairly sure I saw these offered on ebay by a Chinese/HK seller a couple of years ago. They caught my attention as they looked well made.

A poke about on AliExpress may find something similar.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Thanks all,

I'll have a look around. It does look well made, the counterweight is set on a micrometer screw which gives nice, accurate VTF adjustment.

I have measured the EL at 240mm, which suggests P-S of 222.3mm, and re-reading the Feickert its actually around 215, so its definitely in the wrong location...better get the drill press warmed up!

I'm Neil.

AliExpress revealed this looks like an early version of the FFYX tonearms. Same weight mech, similar detailing elsewhere, no info on set up but looks straightforward to reset and the head shell slots are long enough to allow a bit of leeway.

Thanks for info all,

+ Reply to Thread